Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
You could try some brighter bulbs like silverstars or that type. Also, check your headlight adjustment. My bike had crumby light output and it turned out the lamp was pointed down more than it should have been. I adjusted it up and now Im satisfied with it. Beyond going to a full HID setup there isnt a ton that you can do though

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Sylvania Xtra Visions are better than the Silverstars. With my single headlamp naked I have plenty of light. The H7 65 watt is noticeably brighter and has a better pattern than stock or Silverstars.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I dont believe this "Q and A" they have posted in their auction
Q: What Does 8500K Mean And How Will It Benefit My Driving?

A: Contrary to popular belief a "K" rating is not the measurement of a bulbs brightness or color depth, but it is in fact the ability to project its light source further and wider into the darkness. Using this formula our 8500K Replacement Bulbs project twice the distance and width of stock bulbs. (Example) All indoor movie theatres use 4800K bulbs for their movie projectors. This is how they are able to project on such a wide screen with amazing clarity. Now imagine what our 8500K bulbs can do for your vision.
That statement alone is reason for me to not buy their bulbs.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
That's pure genius ;D

I used Osram Nightbreakers for a while, there's a Phillips equivalent but I forget the name, very very good bulbs- so good there were legality issues selling them in the states as they were too bright, but I think that's been sorted.

I've replaced those with a simple HID retrofit kit, which I'm very happy with- huge light output and, in my install, perfectly practical and safe. But you've really got to be careful with these, your mileage may vary and a HID setup working badly is just plain dangerous. You just can't risk glaring other road users.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I've replaced those with a simple HID retrofit kit, which I'm very happy with- huge light output and, in my install, perfectly practical and safe. But you've really got to be careful with these, your mileage may vary and a HID setup working badly is just plain dangerous. You just can't risk glaring other road users.
Can you explain about the mileage? And also how your install was practical and safe and others may not be? I was looking at an HID set up recently. I have the XtraVision in my 01 naked and experienced the same issue as '07Naked' did with the silverstar.

·
Registered
183 Posts
silverstars arent bad but silverstar ultra's are suppose to be a little brighter and project a little father. If i wasnt doing a HID conversion the ultras would of been my next choice.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Can you explain about the mileage? And also how your install was practical and safe and others may not be? I was looking at an HID set up recently.
Ah, sorry, "your mileage may vary" is just a slang term meaning "Your results might not neccesarily be the same as mine". The big difference is that I've got a different headlight, a UK spec one, which is built on the same lines as the US one but dips differently, and so what works for me might not work for you. But also, different kits can have different results. Mine works well, but that doesn't mean they all will.

To be fair, a huge part of this is just down to user fitment, there are an awful lot of really, really badly fitted HID kits out there. The reflectors and lenses used for halogen lamps are completely different from those which should be used with a HID capsule, so the results can be unpredictable- glare spots and dark spots are common, and uncontrolled "scatter" can happen too, with light not being properly focused into the beam but also shining elsewhere. In extremes, that can be blinding for other road users.

But, some reflectors do work reasonably well with HID, and the UK SV is one of those. Quite likely the US one will be the same, but I can't really speak for that. It's inefficient but the increased light output means that even a serious efficiency loss still leaves it more powerful than halogen, and it doesn't have any dangerous scatter.

(the standard SV headlight has a huge amount of vertical scatter, for some reason, and so does my HID- but luckily that doesn't matter since there are no drivers immediately above my bike ;D But it's funny to watch when you go under a dark bridge)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.