Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working with one of my classmates the other day and he was telling me about his youth pastor. He was selling his bike, but decided to take it for one last ride. On this ride he low-sided in a corner and hit a tree with his back. Now, a year later, he's paralyzed from the waist down.

It got me thinkin'...a back protector probably would've done him serious good. More than any other injury on a bike, I fear either becoming paralyzed or losing a limb. Essentially, my fear is the permanent loss of functionality. My coworker's story made me think that a back protector really is worth it.

I'm looking for a backprotector which
-uses hard plastic armor(like an armadillo)
-extends all the way to just above my tailbone.
-CE is a bonus but not necessarily required
-Provides the most protection for the least.

I'm not interested in smaller partial back protectors, jacket inserts, or foam type protectors.

I'm strongly considering this Alpine stars torso armor suit. It has CE armor and looks to be top-notch(especially compared to the 661 SP-1). I just wonder if the back protectors as good as stand-alone protectors:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpinestars_Bionic_Protector_Jacket--35-ALP05-1.html

I'm curious about the icon field armor vest, it seems to provide a LOT of armor on the back:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Icon_Field_Armor_Vest--35-ICON05-1.html

The IXS model looks really nice and very well shaped:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/IXS_X-Protector_Pro_Back_V--35-IXS-1.html

This alpinestars model is said to be really comfortable and protection seems adequate:

http://www.newenough.com/armor_alpinestars_tech_series_back_protector_page.htm

The axo looks like it provides nice wide protection and sturdy mounting:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Axo_2005_Back_Protector--35-AXO05-1.html

If money were no object...I'd be rockin' this piece:

But for $450+ it's a little outta my leage. :-\

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a 661 Pressure suit that I wear when I know I am going out for a spirited ride, I wear it under my leathers, with the stock armor in my leathers removed...its a little tight and I am going to make a few modifications to the suit to make it fit better under the leathers but other than that its great. Sierratradingpost usually has them for cheap

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Storz said:
I have a 661 Pressure suit that I wear when I know I am going out for a spirited ride, I wear it under my leathers, with the stock armor in my leathers removed...its a little tight and I am going to make a few modifications to the suit to make it fit better under the leathers but other than that its great. Sierratradingpost usually has them for cheap

They used to be $80...but now they're like $110. I don't know why a two year old suit of armor which has been upgraded twice would actually go up in price... :-\

I've heard a lot of complaints about the 661 piece. Namely: the arms are too long and the elbow armor does not stay in place well. What's your opinion, Storz?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grikl said:
I use the feild armor icon ones

I am buying the joe rocket one as we speek its a jacket not armor but I think it will serve good the only thing I dont like is the chest dosent have a plastic plate whice i may cut one and have it sewed on i donno yet

i like the first one you showed tho

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_riot_jacket_page.htm
How low does the icon field armor vest go on your back? It doesn't look like it flexes at all...is it comfortable? Does it conform to the shape of your back at all?

·
Registered
91 Posts
it dosent go far enought down and thats why I am upgrading to that joerocket one
it flexes so much that i wounder what it would do for me
its comfortable but the strechey part may get over streched some day but its in the inside and the normal one in a textile jacket.
i am sure that much will be ok
i am getting a new one cuz i went down and my jacket took damage on the elbos

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
are you looking for full body armor or just a back protector?

I use the back protector that came with my backpack (got as a present, dainese hard back protector) with it inside my jacket I feel plenty comfortable...my jacket already has that impact foam stuff on the back+back protector I feel pretty safe, but maybe not track ready...for the street I think a simple cheap hard one+jacket you'd be good-to-go. It doesn't go all the way down to the asscrack (tailbone) so I don't know how protective it would be in certain situations, but it's not really very flexy, so it seems to hold it's own.

But you can become paralyzed from neck injuries as well...and if you're going fast enough nothing can really save you...go with whatever is most comfortable I say, a full armor+leathers seems like it would be very restrictive and hot...

edit: the alpinestars one looks great, that one or this dainese one is kind of what I have, and is what I would reccommend as far as everyday wearability.
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Dainese_BAP_2--35-DA-2.html

·
Registered
91 Posts
"and if you're going fast enough nothing can really save you"

slowing down maby.

I went down and had alot of armor on took hits on all armor on one side but .. the one place i dident have armor is all bust up, my Hip
I am so glad i had so much armor on, slow lowslide out in front of the house so slow it looked funny .. looking for some sort of hip protection now
I dont care if I am doing 5mph or 500mph I am going to increase my chances

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Forcefield's got an excellent rep. I use a Knox Stowaway but that doesn't really fit your bill, it's stiff foam rather than hard plastic. Incredibly comfortable though, literally forget it's on, and very convenient (it rolls up when not in use, so it's great if you're going somewhere where you'll be walking about or whatever.) It's relatively cheap, at least over here.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Grikl said:
I went down and had alot of armor on took hits on all armor on one side but .. the one place i dident have armor is all bust up, my Hip
Ah, that sounds familiar... When I fractured my hip I was wearing all my gear- armoured cordura trousers, fully armoured cordura jacket, back protector... I was walking to my garage, slipped on ice and bang, fractured hip, 4 months on crutches. Made me think about what would have happened if I'd been moving- the fracture didn't displace badly so it was posisble to just bolt the femur together, if it had displaced more (as it would have if I'd been bounding along the road) it'd have been hip replacement time. I crashed twice in that gear without so much as a briuise, too.

My new trousers have hip armour ;) If anyone's got pockets for hip armour but has never bothered to fill them, DO IT NOW! if you're worried about bulk, Hein Gericke's Hiprotec armour is incredibly thin but still CE rated.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I have this one from Newenough ..

It is comfortable till you reach 85 degrees, then you really don't like wearing it.
Works well with baggy jackets like my Kilaminjaro jacket but with tight textiles or leathers, I can't insert or zip them up even if I remove the foam in the jacket.

I am glad I bought it, but to be honest, it spends a lot of time in the closet.
I won't wear it commuting but I will wear it any time I think I will do spirited driving.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
get the alpinestars one ben... if its good enough for the motoGP guys.. its good enough for you :)

and besides i have one and you want to be cool like me right?

i have the tech race protector.. but the normal one like "Currently" just posted is a good choice also. :)

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
i got an impact armour one, you send them measurments and they construct a foam templete, send it to you, you approve it and they make the real one, i know of someone that wacked himself with a hammer while wearing one :eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ah, that sounds familiar... When I fractured my hip I was wearing all my gear- armoured cordura trousers, fully armoured cordura jacket, back protector... I was walking to my garage, slipped on ice and bang, fractured hip, 4 months on crutches. Made me think about what would have happened if I'd been moving- the fracture didn't displace badly so it was posisble to just bolt the femur together, if it had displaced more (as it would have if I'd been bounding along the road) it'd have been hip replacement time. I crashed twice in that gear without so much as a briuise, too.

My new trousers have hip armour If anyone's got pockets for hip armour but has never bothered to fill them, DO IT NOW! if you're worried about bulk, Hein Gericke's Hiprotec armour is incredibly thin but still CE rated
I have the areostitch pants with the hip armor but wasent waring them :(
I need something just havent found anything yet

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Grikl said:
"and if you're going fast enough nothing can really save you"

slowing down maby.

I am so glad i had so much armor on, slow lowslide out in front of the house so slow it looked funny .. looking for some sort of hip protection now
I dont care if I am doing 5mph or 500mph I am going to increase my chances
well I mean, if you can't slow down...

and I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have as much armor as possible by any means, but for most people (commuting, just a regular calm ride...etc) a full armor is too cumbersome. Like was said, what's the point if you're gonna let it hang in the closet? Get what you're comfy with, if that means a armor/jacket combo like the one above then shooots! ;D

·
Registered
91 Posts
yea thats true, easy sure would help in getting us all to put stuff on

I have just relized that everytime I am lazzy to do something its only brought bad stuff to me.

my work is 5 blocks from home but I still gear up, and it payed off.

I so wish as I am sure you do that we had something easy bullet prrof, water proof, breathable ect ect
stuff gets better everyyear tho and thats great to see

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Grikl said:
yea thats true, easy sure would help in getting us all to put stuff on

I have just relized that everytime I am lazzy to do something its only brought bad stuff to me.

my work is 5 blocks from home but I still gear up, and it payed off.

I so wish as I am sure you do that we had something easy bullet prrof, water proof, breathable ect ect
stuff gets better everyyear tho and thats great to see
yup lol my work is less than half a mile from my building (I can even see it from the top) but I still put on me jacket gloves boots helmet and usually just have the back protector attatched to the backpack since I look the fool taking it off at work (spare set of shoes at work too) what bothers me is that getting the stuff on and off and then trying to let the bike warm up gets me all sweaty...nobody likes seeing a fat sweaty guy at 7 am. :p

what i need to do is come up with a system to put my gear on really fast! ;D

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Look for one that is CE level 2 certified. I have one by Velocity Gear, he sold them cheap to board members a while back.  They make a vest thingy also if that's what you want. Tpro is another level 2 option, Joe Rocket sells a rebadged one that is cheaper. It's not hard armor though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.