Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just adjusted my TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and also added aTRE. The familiar on-off throttle feeling is gone. Now very smooth throttle at low RPM. Love it! This has got to be one of the biggest "bang for the buck" things that I've done to the SV. Here's a link to a step-by-step guide, for those not familiar with what I'm talking about:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=55459&highlight=throttle+position+sensor

The TPS on newer SV's will look slightly different, but the same thing is done. It almost looks like there are two smaller TPS units. Adjust the one closer to the seat. Also helpful is a good source for the Torx security bit. I finally located a set at Sears. Used a 1/4 inch wrench with the bit fitted inside, since a socket would've made a tight fit. Here's a link to what you're looking for at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00925702000P?vName=Tools&keyword=torx+security+bit

Edit: Almost forgot. A snipped paper clip worked much better for me as a "dealer tool" than the speaker wire recommended in the original thread.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I completely agree. I got so fed up with my new SV the first few months I had it because the low RPM handling was ****, very jerky and almost caused some incidents while in some slow, tight corners. I gave the TPS adjustment a try and I'm glad I did, it was really off. It's now within spec and handles very nicely :)

More tool suggestions: I found this tiny little hex ratchet at Home Despot. It's only a few inches long and it's not even a half inch thick IIRC. Works really well in that tight space.
EDIT: Went out to the garage to check the brand...it's made by Husky but I'm not having much luck finding it online.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ya know i have been reading the TRE threads and I must say when we 1st got the sv home it was jerky and harsh on/off throttle as well.
I called a fellow sv owner about this and he was at a loss. I was going to take it back it was so harsh.
I adjusted my throttle cable snugger than spec and it all went away.And no my bike does not speed up on rights.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Doctor told me I got to lay off carbs ;D

TPS is on my to do list.

as it should be, otherwise your skipping routine maintenance

:rolleyes: I don't get it, bank for buck threads as if your doing somehting extra, Throttle position sensor, Throttle Body Syncronization, new spark plugs, air filter etc. are routine regular maintenance items

why would anybody ignore taking care of their bike

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

:rolleyes: I don't get it, bank for buck threads as if your doing somehting extra, Throttle position sensor, Throttle Body Syncronization, new spark plugs, air filter etc. are routine regular maintenance items

:rolleyes: I don't get it, why would anyone think that having to adjust your Throttle position sensor on a new bike with less then 10K miles is a routine regular maintenance item. :dontknow:

·
Registered
367 Posts
:rolleyes: I don't get it, why would anyone think that having to adjust your Throttle position sensor on a new bike with less then 10K miles is a routine regular maintenance item. :dontknow:
The service manual calls for it at 600 miles and again at 7500 miles...

It is part of normal service.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts

Its not ignoring it, its that I dont have a shed and its too friggin' freezing outside to work on anything, be it, bike, house, yard or anything for that matter.

Also, the 600 mile service was done by the dealer in November or December. Did they connect a multimeter or even the dealer connector and check the TPS adjustment .... I very seriously doubt it.

I will and want to do all my own maintenance and now that the weather and temperature is on the rise. Hence its on my 'to do' list :)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I adjusted my throttle cable snugger than spec and it all went away.And no my bike does not speed up on rights.
Just because doing something incorrectly fixes a a problem, that doesn't make it a good idea ;D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just because doing something incorrectly fixes a a problem, that doesn't make it a good idea ;D

My throttle cables were also seriously loose when I got my bike. Tightening them to the point where they worked properly fixed the majority of the issue. The TPS adjustment did the rest.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You sure about that? Go read again.

Throttle valve synchronization and Throttle position sensor are not the same thing. ;)
Sorry, but I think you need to read closer. The manual says to adjust TPS every time you adjust or check the throttle valve synchronization. Page 5-30. Hence, they are supposed to be done at the same time. First sync, then adjust TPS.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

You are correct, sir! Nevertheless, it is something that is easily overlooked/forgotten. It's not exactly on the same level as oil, plugs, filters, etc. Everyone remembers that stuff. I personally was not aware that TPS is a regular maintenance item simply because I go by the "Periodic Maintenance Chart" in the service manual. It doesn't list TPS, so it never crossed my mind.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
You are correct, sir! Nevertheless, it is something that is easily overlooked/forgotten. It's not exactly on the same level as oil, plugs, filters, etc. Everyone remembers that stuff. I personally was not aware that TPS is a regular maintenance item simply because I go by the "Periodic Maintenance Chart" in the service manual. It doesn't list TPS, so it never crossed my mind.
have you done throttle body sync yet..... I bet you notice even more improvement

the tps/tbs is on the same level as spark plugs, air filter, its a motorcycle, not a car that goes 100,000 between tuneups and it's more important than oil changes as to the performance, with most modern oils, you could easily double the change interval milage with no detrimental effect on the engine or it's performance

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just crossed the mileage threshold for those not long ago. Quite honestly, I was probably going to ignore that one, as I'm still somewhat of a maintenance rookie on the bike. But after noticing such a big change with the TPS adjustment, you've talked me into attempting the throttle body sync. Have to bone up on it in the manual first. Anything not covered there that I should know before I start?

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I just adjusted the TPS on my bike and I have to say it is a big improvement. I did not have to touch the idle at all, but the sensor is very touchy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts