Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comming around a sharp turn on the interstate there are a few things one expects to see; cars, trucks, cops.. but one thing you never want to see is an unavoidable chuck of concrete.

Needless to say I ran over it mid turn.. with my wife on the back. Due to some quick reaction skills we didn't go down, believe me there was a round of applause in my head after this save.

We ramped off it side ways from the number three lane and landed in the number two.

Well heres a pic. And a question to go along with it. I've got a buddy about 2 hours away with a good rim for me. We've also got the goods to put it on there.

Think I could ride 2-2.5 highway hours on this rim to get it there?

Tire isn't flat, but as you can see the rim is bent.

*** pic is in my gallery***

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
818 Posts
Several thoughts / observations:

I didn't look at the pics, but if you were able to ride the bike home w/o any ill effects on the handling, the rim would probably make the trip. However, you are asking the wrong question. The correct question is, "Is my tire still safe to ride on?". IMHO, there is a much higher risk that the tire was damaged and may fail. It would be better to have the tire pulled and inspected (do they x-ray tires or something equivalent?) thoroughly before riding the bike with that tire.

Do you have another vehicle? It might make more sense to not ride the bike to your friend's place, but just take the wheel.

I'm all for being grateful and putting things in a positive light, but you might want to re-think your riding skills after running over concrete on a freeway. W/o being there, it sure sounds like you were over-running your sightlines or just not paying attention. Tailgating? Did the concrete just fall out of a truck and take the whole lane? Multiple lanes? Were you riding next to a vehicle in the death zone so you couldn't change lanes? Night? Road construction?

Again, it's good to be grateful that things turned out okay, but it might be a good time to try to upgrade your riding practices. David Hough's Proficient Motorcyling is my common recommendation. His book has a fair number of incidents similar to yours, and teaches how to prepare for and avoid them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankfully there were very few cars around.

The interstate turn that I am referring to is in a tricky area. It's a full 90° turn 3 lanes wide with several on and off ramps (by on and off I mean if you were to stay in your lane on the on ramp you would exit in 200 yards) not to mention its on a bridge.
It was at night.
The chunk was in the apex of the turn.

Thanks for the advice on the tire. I'll get it checked.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Look up Wills Wheel Repair....

·
Registered
540 Posts
If, when riding in a straight line, the bike isn't wobbling, then I would assume that it's ok. What is in contact with the ground is not the rim itself but the tire. When cornering, assuming the rim is straight and true, should have no affect on how bikes corner.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Drinkbrew:

You don't experience any difference in cornering?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I haven't really noticed anything when cornering, but mine isn't bent enough to effect the shape of the tire.

For what it's worth I found a local shop that will fix it for $50. But I need to fix my truck first, so I can take it to them :BangHead:.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts