Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down at the track. Obvious damage included a bent subframe, banged-up can, plastics, brake lever, grab rail, tank, clip-on, and a broken frame slider.

Yesterday I put my bike away for the winter and decided to do a front end tear down. Turns out the throttle side fork is bent where the lower triple contacts the tube. All in all the bend is not bad, but I wanted to get suggestions on my options of what to do from here. (Side note : I have springs, emulators, and oil already done)

(1) Front end swap (Appx $900) Done right from Svraceshop. Downsides include changed rake and trail. No fork stops and serious money.

(2) New inner tube from Oneida. ($150 after shipping) Throw seals on top of that and I can do the labor myself.

(3) Ride as is and save money for SS bike.

Your suggestions and experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
don't ride it bent. i'm not as big a proponent in the front end swap as everyone on this board. the stock forks when built right are very good. i'd just replace the tube and freshen them up.

·
Registered
505 Posts
treoff said:
I went down at the track. Obvious damage included a bent subframe, banged-up can, plastics, brake lever, grab rail, tank, clip-on, and a broken frame slider.

Yesterday I put my bike away for the winter and decided to do a front end tear down. Turns out the throttle side fork is bent where the lower triple contacts the tube. All in all the bend is not bad, but I wanted to get suggestions on my options of what to do from here. (Side note : I have springs, emulators, and oil already done)

(1) Front end swap (Appx $900) Done right from Svraceshop. Downsides include changed rake and trail. No fork stops and serious money.

(2) New inner tube from Oneida. ($150 after shipping) Throw seals on top of that and I can do the labor myself.

(3) Ride as is and save money for SS bike.

Your suggestions and experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
You can have fork stops with a gixxer front end. Like Kris said, don't ride it bent.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I do the tube it would seem smart to do new seals and oil on both forks. Good thing I wrote everything down.

jarel - Ok, so for the front end swap...  How much will the new front decrease rake? I understand if rake is decreased the bike will 'turn in better', however, I'm already lifting the rear wheel under hard braking. Wouldn't less rake make it worse?

·
Registered
505 Posts
treoff said:
If I do the tube it would seem smart to do new seals and oil on both forks. Good thing I wrote everything down.

jarel - Ok, so for the front end swap...  How much will the new front decrease rake? I understand if rake is decreased the bike will 'turn in better', however, I'm already lifting the rear wheel under hard braking. Wouldn't less rake make it worse?
If you're having a problem with the tail wagging under braking, it's normally due to the forks compressing too much. If the springs are too soft, or there's inadequate compression damping, the forks compress way down, transfer to much weight forward, the frame tries to pivot around the steering head and you get the Ben Bostrom death weave going on. Even with the forks setup well, if you grab the brakes too hard you can still get the tail to slide around a little.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha, probably weight shift cause all other veriables are in check. The back end will weave during hardest braking. Usually I will just hold it at a mild weave for the last third of the braking distance.

G

·
treoff said:
Gotcha, probably weight shift cause all other veriables are in check. The back end will weave during hardest braking. Usually I will just hold it at a mild weave for the last third of the braking distance.
back end coming up of the ground can be shock problem,not necesary forks.
tube that is bent but no crease in it can be straighten.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TWF said:
Maritan said:
Yeah, if the tube isn't creased, just unbend the damn thing. No problems to speak of.
Ok, new info I saw today. Fork 1 is bent and creased. Fork 2 is slightly bent but no crease. I will get a new innner tube for fork 1.

Do you have any tricks on how to unbend Fork 2 ?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TWF said:
Oh, and what with the shock could be effecting the rear comming up?

·
Registered
505 Posts
treoff said:
Oh, and what with the shock could be effecting the rear comming up?
Too much rebound damping in the shock can do it but you'd notice that elsewhere as well. Tire wear would likely show it, and it may tend to run wide in bumpier corners as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts