Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been covered pretty exhaustively but I am still sort of lost and hoped starting my own thread may help sort things out

Basically the bike took a spill in a windstorm (it's actually happened twice since I bought it) and i think it took a tool on the front suspension. I noticed riding one day that the handlebars were skewed to one side, the bike tracked straight but the handlebars weren't quite perfect

so after checking here I went to work, I pull the front fender and front fairing off so I could see the tubes and wheel relative to each other. the entire front end seems to be cocked to the right. I loosed the clamps on the upper and lower triples and tried to twist them straight, no luck. I loosened the axle pinch bolt and bounced the suspension up and down a few times as suggested and no luck.

it seems that the tubes are straight since from the way I see it all of the suspension components are straight relative to each other, so I'm wondering if it might be the triple itself

I took a pic which I can upload here, but do you all have any input?

thanks,
cc

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
could be the top and bottom triple clamps are a bit out of line. usually loosening the pinch bolts allows them to pop back into place, but if not you could loosen the nut on top of the upper clamp, then re-torque it, (i think it's 40-45 lb.ft.). don't loosen the lock nuts under the top triple, just the big nut on top.

of course, check the handlbars for damage, maybe they are bent or mis-aligned.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Well the pic would help us to give more input. Also, can you specify wether you have handlebars or clip ons, just to make sure? It sounds like just a bent handlebar, if thats what you have. If you have clipons, it sounds like theres a more serious problem

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies guys, I have stock clipons i tried loosening the pinch bolts, that however didn't help, although i tried it with weight on the front wheel should I take the weight off the front wheel and then try it??

here is the pic for reference, to me everything seems to be straight relative to each other but the whole setup is leaned to the right or so it seems

thanks guys,
cC

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
yes, you need to raise the wheel off the ground and then loosen the pinch bolts. then it should pop back into place.

the clip-ons could be bent a little, too. not much you can do about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pretty much just went through the same thing with my recently bought 03 650s. Didn't notice anything strange on the test ride or until I pulled the forks to change the oil. After reassembly the front wheel pointed to the right with the bars straight. Tried all the same stuff as you but turned out both fork legs were bent slightly. This wasn't noticeable on the bike unless I turned the fork tubes and the distance to the wheel from the lowers would change. Had them straightened for $20 each and its all good now. Easiest way to check is pull the forks off, lay them on the ground with a reference point near the top of the fork tubes and rotate the tube, you'll easily see if its bent.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
It's tough to tell if the fork tubes are bent while they are still on the bike. You really should remove them and test them off the bike to see if they are bent. Once you have them removed you can turn the inner tube while keeping the outer tube stationary and if they are bent you will see the inner tube wobble slightly as you turn it.

I didn't think my tubes were bent either by just looking at them until I did my front end swap and tested them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty much just went through the same thing with my recently bought 03 650s. Didn't notice anything strange on the test ride or until I pulled the forks to change the oil. After reassembly the front wheel pointed to the right with the bars straight. Tried all the same stuff as you but turned out both fork legs were bent slightly. This wasn't noticeable on the bike unless I turned the fork tubes and the distance to the wheel from the lowers would change. Had them straightened for $20 each and its all good now. Easiest way to check is pull the forks off, lay them on the ground with a reference point near the top of the fork tubes and rotate the tube, you'll easily see if its bent.
If this doesn't happen soon it's definitely going to happen this winter, I'm going to pull the forks change the oil and put in some racetech springs. I just started school again and free time just became more precious.

I borrowed some 10 jack stands from work this week so I could pull the weight off the front end. I'll upload some pics here in a second but I wondering if the forks may be bent. I tried what you guys to suggested to no avail so i said "**CK IT" and pulled the head nut and upper triple clamp. After some finagling I tried to replace the upper triple clamp. I eventually got it in place but it took some effort. the left fork seemed to go in place very smoothly while the right hand fork was more proposed to the outside of the clamp i.e. it was not centered. I had to sort of hammer the upper triple onto the fork tubes and try and "force" the right fork tube back to center.

Like I said I took some pictures the context of the shot is the same but I took one without the upper triple on and one with the upper triple on. Just to see what you guys thought

Thanks, all
cC

edit:
Pics

without the clamp

with the clamp

*H*T big pics I is sorry

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
loosen all the pinch bolts and loosen the upper triple clamp center nut, loosen the front axle. bounce on the front end compressing the forks. It should straighten out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually just gave that a shot it looks a bit better but not perfect I'll give it another go I think,

thanks all
cC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts