Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unfortunatly wiped out in a race yesterday and bent a fork tube badly.

This is the second tube in the last year and a half I have had to replace.

So I am now wondering what are my options...

1. Buy an OEM tube. Spendy but I know it works.
2. Buy a used fork and use the tube. Cheaper option but there is no telling if the used will will also be bent.
3. Buy an aftermarket tube. Forking by Frank isn't an option because my rods, emulators and springs wont fit properly fit.

I see Race Tech sells NTX tubes but has anyone ever tried using them?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I always did option 2. I've bent my fair share of fork tubes. Now I just keep a second set of forks, bought way ahead of time whenever I see a good deal, just in case.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
I always did option 2. I've bent my fair share of fork tubes. Now I just keep a second set of forks, bought way ahead of time whenever I see a good deal, just in case.
ditto

I needed a tube a season or two ago...got a used set of forks with good tubes off here for only $100 bucks. Cheaper than new tubes themselves...Now I have a spare laying around just in case. ;)

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Option 2, and if they are slightly bent (no crease) off they go for straightening. I keep a spare set of forks for this reason.

Yes buying used is a crapshoot. I bought a set of "straight" forks off a racer on this forum and one was most definitely not straight.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I've got the complete stock front end from my 04 SV sitting in a shed at my dad's place in NY, it sounds like I need to get someone to disassemble it so that I can sell it off...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Probably a good idea to have a second set of upper and lower clamps too. I found that if the forks were bent, chances are the clamps were too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know the tubes are made of butter but are the clamps really that soft too?

It wouldn't surprise me, I thought there was a little misalignment with the clamps but I haven't taken them off to measure them. Now might be a good time to do so.

nyc rugby, would you be willing to sell the whole front end for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
nyc rugby, would you be willing to sell the whole front end for a reasonable price?
Of course, especially since I'm underemployed right now. As I said though, it's across the country from me right now at my dad's place (ZIP 10954) and between his age and his mechanical ability he's not up for parting it out. I would also imagine that shipping the entire front end would be pretty expensive, but I've never shipped something that big/heavy so I may be wrong.

As it sits right now the forks/triples/axle/wheel/discs/fender are all there and together, not 100% sure if the calipers are on there or in another box somewhere. The forks have heavier springs than stock in them (I weigh 180), other than that it is all stock. Since it's been sitting for about 2 years I imagine the tire is pretty shot by now as well.

Edit - the front end was pulled off when I put on a GSXR front, everything is true as far as I know. It probably had about 7,000mi on it when I pulled it off. I was the original owner of the bike and the worst it ever saw was a stationary tip over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts