Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After closely looking at my bars today I noticed that they are off center and bent. I assuming this is from one of the times the PO laid it over. Being a college student and not having much money to spend, my questions are.

Will any 7/8" handlebar work, I mean without having to change the cables?
Or do I need to suck it up when I have the money and buy an OEM pair?

Thanks for your time.
-Brendan

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Almost any 7/8" bar will work.

I suggest looking at Bikemaster.com at their handlebars. They don't have anything exactly stock, so you'd either have to go more upright or slightly leaning forward.

Buy their bars from Motorcycle Superstore for like $30.

Do a quick search for Bikemaster on here.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have the Superbike bars on my S model, so yes they do fit. You can do a search for "threads I've created" under my username for pics if you want.

The other popular model are the Daytona bars. Do a search on google images for SV650 bikmaster superbike and sv650 bikemaster daytona.

I know my bike has popped up a few times in google images under superbike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much.

My last question is, Is there anything that I need to do to the bars to mount the controls? I know some already have divets drilled in to hole the controls in place, but I do not know about these ones.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I know 2nd gen SV handlebars do have holes drilled in them. The controls have these little plastic nubs on them that fit into those holes.

What I do though to allow easier moutning and adjusting is taking a small cutting plier or razor blade and cut those little plastic nubs off the controls.

That way you don't have to drill the bars, very easy to adjust and mount however you like, and easy to rotate the bars if you do so in the future.

My controls haven't slipped in 7500 miles since I did that. If it slips with those nubs cut off, you can easily put a layer of electrical tape between the controls and the bar.

If you want to drill the bars, you have to do a mock mount up of everything, mark it, and then drill a round bar relatively precise on both sides. If you're off, one control might be pointing higher/lower than the other. Thats just too much of a hassle for me, snip those little nubs and they haven't slipped in 8k miles for me.

Its not like you put pressure on those controls anyways, any pressure if you do put on the bars is on the grips.

·
Registered
698 Posts
...take a small cutting plier or razor blade and cut those little plastic nubs off the controls.

That way you don't have to drill the bars, very easy to adjust and mount however you like, and easy to rotate the bars if you do so in the future.

My controls haven't slipped in 7500 miles since I did that. If it slips with those nubs cut off, you can easily put a layer of electrical tape between the controls and the bar.
+1

OP: I recently purchased 4 Bikemaster bars from bikebandit.com for my wife's 01 naked: The Daytona, GP touring, Superbike, and European. We're gonna see which we like and return the rest. For $21ish each, it seems reasonable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts