Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup. My nipple is bent (that ought to send off a series of comments, heh heh). But, more seriously, and sadly, due to an unfortunate incident the bleed nipple on my rear brake calliper (2000 SV650s) has become significantly bent and I can see what appears to be a crack through half of it. Yet, there does not seem to be any leaking. Very amazed that it isn't leaking, but perhaps it seals down in the calliper so being bent and cracked hasn't prevented it from not being sealed?

Before I go and scrounge up a replacement calliper online, which would be a good exclude to shift over to braided lines anyways, is it actually possible to remove the bleed nipple (and hopefully without breaking it off, given the crack in it near the base where it connects to the calliper) and put in a replacement? I know on some callipers the tubing can be unscrewed, although given the shape of mine it is likely to just break off anyways, but it might be an option before buying a whole new/used calliper. Although, given that it isn't leaking, perhaps it is fine to leave it as-is until I need to bleed it sometime....

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers, Ryan.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Your rear caliper has two pistons and two bleed screws. You should be able to unscrew the broken bleed screw. Use some penetrating fluid first and try a 8mm wrench slowly on it. If the crack starts to open, I would try vice grips instead. You have nothing to lose by trying to remove the bleeder. It should come out unless the threads have been compromised by the bend and damage.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If the tip is broken off and tightened down, not leaking and has no air in the system then their is no need to replace the bleed screw.
You can see in this picture why but if you want it out use any screw remover that is the right size and take it out and replace.
It will cost a dollar or two for a new bleeder at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that is an awesome diagram, thanks so much! I had been trying to find something like that on the internet. Thanks again for the insight, very appreciated! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts