Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I do not NEED to lower the bike, i'm ~5'11" with a 30" inseam. I can very easily flat foot the bike. I do plan on getting my seat modded by GreatDayToRide, mostly for the added comfort and i will have the seat shaved about an 1". But i was also thinking there would be some benefit to having a lower COG as well as making the bike a little more flickable. I was thinking some decent lowering links at 1.5", then raise the forks through the triple clamp about 15mm. Like i said i don't need to do this because i'm short, just wondering if overall i would benefit from doing this. The bike is pretty much just used for weekend and good weather riding, i don't race, or even ride too aggressively (yet...)

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
There really are'nt any advantages to lowering a bike if you don't have problems riding it, it will improve handling none what so ever, what it will do is give you the ability to take off harder without wheelieing as much but it'll also make you drag hard parts if you ride agressively. The front header already gets pretty close to the ground when you pull a lot of g's, I imagine if you lower it an inch and a half it could drag.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
A lower COG will make the bike transition easier. 1" lower COG won't make a difference you can feel. And you will drag parts earlier. Lower COG also reduces weight transfer under braking, limiting front traction under hard braking. Again, 1" lower won't make a measurable difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so i guess thats a "no" then. thanks for helping a newbie avoid a mistake!

·
Registered
744 Posts
In fact, on the 1gen (don't know about the 2gen) the rear needs to be raised a bit to get the best handling out of the bike.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
zoltan does have a point about feel and geometry. Raising or lowering one end relative to the other does change the way a bike will feel. Generally, raising the front or lowering the rear will give better straight line stability at some cost to turn in. Lowering the front or raising the rear will speed turn in at some cost to straight line stability. SVs are very stable, so lowering the front a bit or raising the rear a bit is generally a good move.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts