Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
500 colored pipe cleaners for $20. Yeah, there's a sucker born every minute.

Who is stupid enough to actually buy crap like the Snuggie, the Sham-WOW or the rest of the garbage that people like Billy Mays advertise on the boob tube?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Meh. None of these things are particularly stupid per se, they are just marketed like they are a miracle product which they are not.

As far as bendaroos- they are a wax of some sort and $20 to keep the kids unglued from the tv/ playstation and usetheir heads for a few hours doesn't seem like a bad idea. Think about blocks. I'm sure my parents paid what seemed like a small fortune for "just pieces of wood".

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Like the WTF blanket?
Sure, take the WTF blanket. It would be a perfectly reasonable christmas gift for your blue- haired granny to use while knitting you next year's birthday scarf out of all the Purr-purr and Mittens fur stuck to the WTF blanket. Mays does not find amazing new products; he just takes ordinary [email protected] and exerts a load of energy convincing people it is extraordinary.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Actually Snuggies get pretty good reviews from consumers. I just hope they're flame retardent because those floppy sleeves are bound to incinerate someone sooner or later.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Who is stupid enough to actually buy crap like the Snuggie, the Sham-WOW or the rest of the garbage that people like Billy Mays advertise on the boob tube?
Hey! :angry1: Let's not say things we don't mean.

Actually Snuggies get pretty good reviews from consumers. I just hope they're flame retardent because those floppy sleeves are bound to incinerate someone sooner or later.
Oh, it'll happen. You can't relax next to lit candles or a fireplace under a normal blanket. I bet the thing'll melt right to your skin too. Just have to be sure of what color you want to be for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The "Bendaroo" set my brothers and I had thirty-some years ago:

EDIT:

It really wasn't a Bendaroo set at all. It was a genuine Gilbert Erector Set, complete with gears, motor, pulleys, etc. We didn't make artsy-fartsy colorful "crafts" with it.....we built trucks, buildings, bridges and cranes. The parts didn't "snap" together either....you fastened bits together with real screws and nuts.

Best toy evah.

To this day when I see someone building something, it's relatively easy to make a determination on whether or not it's going to work....or how well it'll work when it's done.

Thank you Gilbert Erector Set.:notworthy:

Bendaroos? Pfffft....:-\

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
That's the sh-t right there. But they won't let kids have them any more because they might be too stupid to realize that metal is sharp and can cut you. :rolleyes:

Even LEGOs have gone downhill. It used to be just square and rectangular pieces, and you made things based on that. Fill in the rest with your imagination. Now you don't have to do that, because they've molded an entire part that looks just like the real thing. :angry1: What's the fun in that?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
The "Bendaroo" set my brothers and I had thirty-some years ago:

EDIT:

It really wasn't a Bendaroo set at all. It was a genuine Gilbert Erector Set, complete with gears, motor, pulleys, etc. We didn't make artsy-fartsy colorful "crafts" with it.....we built trucks, buildings, bridges and cranes. The parts didn't "snap" together either....you fastened bits together with real screws and nuts.

Best toy evah.

To this day when I see someone building something, it's relatively easy to make a determination on whether or not it's going to work....or how well it'll work when it's done.

Thank you Gilbert Erector Set.:notworthy:

Bendaroos? Pfffft....:-\

I never had the Erector Sets, but my parents bought me the Capsela toys, much like this one:

My dad also bought me one of these:

I loved those things.

·
Registered
920 Posts
That's the sh-t right there. But they won't let kids have them any more because they might be too stupid to realize that metal is sharp and can cut you.
We went through a few Band-Aids ourselves building stuff, and my Mom got a couple of punctures in her feet from rogue screws in the living room carpet....but even she didn't care. When the Erector Set was out, the TV was off.

+1 on the electronics kits as well....we had a jumbo one of those too.

My Dad also had one of these:

It wasn't anything we had to put together to use, but it was still fascinating. He'd get it out of the cellar and set it up on the kitchen counter. We put water in the boiler and fuel pellets in the burner....and just sat there mesmerized waiting for the steam to build. Then, things would start whirring once we gave the flywheel a little push.

Good times....good times.

Bendaroos? Pfffft.....times ten. At least.

;D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Man, you guys are bringing back memories. The building toys were the best ones. I had an erector set, legos, ,capsela, legos, and tinker toys over the years. We had a little pool when I had the capselas... so much fun but they probably hadn't crossed my mind in 18 years.
Anyway, I think the bendaroos are more for the littler ones... didn't you guys have playdough before the erector sets?

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Playdough, tinker toys, lincoln logs, legos, erector set... I even had a home chemistry set. That sh!t was complete with a Bunsen burner. Talk about something you won't find at Toys-R-Us anymore (where my parents got it 20 years ago).

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
My brother and I used to have Construx vs. Lego wars. I had the legos. I still "play" with them, but it's for FIRST Lego league, volunteering as a judge/ref. Kids are tasked with building a programmed robot with the Lego mindstorms kit, to accomplish several tasks, and everything (robot, playing field, targets, goals) are made of legos. It's a lot of fun!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I has an erector set when I was a kid, my favorite construction was a voltage machine, use the AC electric motor as a transformer along with a gear that was set to momentarily contact the power source (1.5v D cell) causing a pulse that simulated AC, would transform the output into a :eek: shocking experience

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Anybody else remember "Construx"? Like a plastic erector set. Came out in the 80's.
I was reading down the thread waiting for this one. Construx were great, even though my dad had to remove one from my lip with a pair of forceps. I was trying to take apart a beam and corner that was stuck, used my teeth to get some leverage and it slipped halfway off...it bled a lot, my mom was ****** when she got home that afternoon.

I also had boxes of legos, my dad's old erector set, tinker toys, and Lincoln logs. When I'm buying gifts for my niece and nephew I tend to alternate between "fun" stuff and gifts like these, puzzles, and other stuff that will make them think...now if only my sister would let me get my nephew a Fiddy. ;D

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I never had the Erector Sets, but my parents bought me the Capsela toys, much like this one:

My dad also bought me one of these:

I loved those things.
Oooh, I used to have those. Capsela was way cool.

I loved the erector sets too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.