Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 686 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't belts loose some of the snappiness of the bike?

That's kinda cool but but...ehh... it just doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
203 Posts
it looks kinda narrow, even with 70-75hp i'd be afraid to trust it. looks smaller(i could be wrong) than a hd 883 sportys and those are mid 40's hp

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's just wrong! :-\

Somebody's got the idea:
Can I get 200lb of chrome and an oil leak to go with that?
;D

N

·
0 Posts
For certain uses (i.e. touring, commuting) it might be the real deal. I wonder how much they're asking for it?

:)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Keep running that belt on the dirt and you'll see why dirt bikes use chains. ;)

Get a rock or even a stick caught between the belt and the driven wheel.. BAM!.. Split belt...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
dementiaseven said:
  it looks kinda narrow, even with 70-75hp i'd be afraid to trust it. looks smaller(i could be wrong) than a hd 883 sportys and those are mid 40's hp
Torque is the more imporant factor to consider here.

·
Registered
203 Posts
AvidSV650Rider said:
Torque is the more imporant factor to consider here.
yeah, you're right, don't know why I didn't think of that. But, then again you don't see any il4 600's that only have peak torque that is compareable to our sv's using belts.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
don't Buell's run belts? think I remember reading an article on the new Buell and think the rider doing the evalutation claimed he liked the belt drive claiming it was snappy in response

I don't know... I have never ridden a bike with a belt but the idea is appealing if it means less messing with compated to chains and longer life. I don't like having to remove swingarm though when its time to replace

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Buells run belts - but the drive on this SV is WIDE open for stuff to get jammed in there.

A Buell has covers galore - a key ingredient in longevity.

Not hard to execute - but some covers need to be added to make that truly reliable.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Ruefus said:
Buells run belts - but the drive on this SV is WIDE open for stuff to get jammed in there.

A Buell has covers galore - a key ingredient in longevity.

Not hard to execute - but some covers need to be added to make that truly reliable.
ohh I see... is an interesting idea if you could keep it covered I guess ;)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
finally, a solution for my lazy non chain cleaning/maintaing ass.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
future2501 said:
Don't belts loose some of the snappiness of the bike?

That's kinda cool but but...ehh... it just doesn't seem right.
belts are lighter than chains and therefore less driveline power losses

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Not sure if this one one of them, but they make belt that can handle rocks and debris now. The Buell Ulysses has one. In testing the just sat there and fed metal rods into the belt to try to make it fail. It did so well the owners manual no longer calls for a belt replacement at 20k. It's now lifetime.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Matoo said:
Not sure if this one one of them, but they make belt that can handle rocks and debris now. The Buell Ulysses has one. In testing the just sat there and fed metal rods into the belt to try to make it fail. It did so well the owners manual no longer calls for a belt replacement at 20k. It's now lifetime.
doubt it, this is a custom made job by a guy on the SoCal SV board.

1 - 20 of 686 Posts