Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day everyone! I'm new to the forums (well sort of, I signed up a while back but haven't had time to work on my bike or ride much until recently). Anyway, my SV is totally unmodified and I have decided to do a few of the basic, more traditional upgrades. Before we get into it, here is a bit of history regarding this bike:

So I acquired a very nice, mint condition 06' SV650s in red through a series of swaps on gumtree (craigslist equivalent in Australia). I started with a an old holden and eventually traded my way to a 96' Toyota Corolla (with over 320,000km and a slipping clutch. For some odd reason, an older gentleman decided he would like to trade this fantastic vehicle for his immaculate, unmodified SV with 20,000 km on the clock. Which I did (obviously!).

Here she is (totally stock and very clean):

So to the upgrades! After much reading of the forums here and much deliberation, I decided to start learning about my bike and bought some upgrades (described later on). I would like to post my experiences as I install these mods in this and following posts for several reasons:

1) To describe many of typical beginner SV mods that are scattered all over the net (exhaust/rearsets/etc/etc) all one place for others to hopefully find and benefit from (learn from my mistakes! I'm sure there will be many:)!

2) So I can get advice from the very knowledgable SV community from time to time.

3) To share my new passion with like minded individuals as I don't know many riders in real life... yet.

So here are my starting mods (all from eBay!):

- Evotech black fender eliminator $99.00
- Danmoto adjustable rear sets $60.00
- Danmoto JISU black exhaust $140.00
- ASV F3 Black adjustable, foldable short clutch/brake levers $200.00
- 2010 GSXR 1000 rear shock $100.00
- 2008 Yamaha R1 Front end (Forks, tripple clamps, wheel, discs, & callipers)
(looking forward to this in particular)

I will be starting with the exhaust, then the levers & rear-sets. Here is a close up of the exhaust:

I am going to list the things that I discovered and feel might be helpful to others as we proceed. Stop me if I am stating things that are too obvious, they weren't obvious to me when I buggered them up!

The exhaust is pretty straight forward, you cut off the old one at the right spot (the exhaust came with a diagram) and you slide the new one onto the piece of pipe included, and slide that onto the open end of the pipe you just created and secure it with a big metal ring clamp. Finally, you attach two little springs between the exhaust can and the pipe which hold the two together.

So CUTTING... I decided to buy an angle grinder (as pictured above), seemed like the obvious choice... It was a mistake. The angle grinder cut easily... until just over halfway, at which point I couldn't cut any further, the disc on the grinder just wouldn't reach! The unit was big and I couldn't get at the right angles to cut the pipe all the way through!

So tip 1: Get a reciprocating saw! if you haven't seen one of these, just picture an electric bread knife with a hack saw blade and you're pretty much spot on.

What did I do though? Well as it was 10:30pm and I wasn't prepared to wait until morning (and leave my baby all cut up!) I did what any sane SVrider would do (I assume...), I went door to door around my block looking for a hacksaw. Now this got me some strange, mostly pissed off looks as I guess not everyone likes to stay up as late as me on their home projects... And no, I didn't find a hacksaw. This left me with only one option, leading me to:

Tip 2: Don't attempt to cut your exhaust pipe using a totally blunt, slightly rusty JUNIOR hacksaw that you discover at the bottom of the old toolbox from the tiny storeroom under the stairs that you haven't opened in the last 2 years...

After 3 hours of gnawing away at the exhaust with my tiny blunt junior hacksaw (see photo below), I finally managed to cut all the way through! Woohoo!

Tip 3: As per the above photos, notice two things -

a) It is much easier to cut the exhaust pipe with the rear-sets unbolted and hung up high, out of the way, in this case using "high quality" gardening wire...

b) You will save yourself a lot of pain by covering the powder coated rear swing arm with some cardboard to protect it from overly vigorous junior hacksawing action!

So anyways, with the exhaust cut off and the pipe unscrewed from the rear hanger, you get something like this:

Now you slip on the ring clamp, followed by the short piece of pipe supplied with your exhaust, and then slip the exhaust on to the end of that. Positioning it all is interesting which brings me to:

Tip 4: Leave the ring clamp and hanger bolt loose until you have rotated the exhaust and connector pipe into the right positions (so that the exhaust is parallel to the bike and at the right height etc, and so that the small eyelets on the pipe, line up with those on the exhaust so you can connect the little tension springs). Otherwise it can be crooked, which is very noticeable with this particular triangular exhaust.

Now it is all lined up, you can proceed to tighten the ring clamp... But not too tight... Bugger!

Tip 5: Don't OVER-TIGHTEN the ring clamp! The bolt WILL break in half!

As per my photo below, I would not recommend replacing the now useless clamp (the gold one) with two hose clamps (the silver ones)... Do as I say, not as I do!! The hoseclamps held fine until the next morning when I could buy a replacement bolt for the proper clamp. See below:

So thats it so far, I will post the next instalment soon covering installation of my ASV levers and Danmoto rear-sets. Feel free to leave me feedback or comments guys and girls!

Cheers,

Sav

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Very thorough, nice, job.

One thing I noticed is that you did not use any sealant on the exhaust pipe joints. I've had good success with using Permatex Ultra Copper RTV sealant, and I recommend it for this application as insurance against exhaust leaks. It is inexpensive, easy to apply, and cures to a pliable, heat-resistant seal in 24 hours.

The R1 front end is an interesting choice. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very thorough, nice, job.

One thing I noticed is that you did not use any sealant on the exhaust pipe joints. I've had good success with using Permatex Ultra Copper RTV sealant, and I recommend it for this application as insurance against exhaust leaks. It is inexpensive, easy to apply, and cures to a pliable, heat-resistant seal in 24 hours.
Cheers, yeah I was planning on using sealant but forgot to buy it and now its all together, I can't be bothered pulling it apart again! next time I have it apart for whatever reason I'll definitely use some sealant.

The R1 front end is an interesting choice. Looking forward to seeing how that turns out.
The R1 front end will be fun, As far as I can tell it shouldn't be too hard. I've sorted out the bearings (have worked out that the stock bearings on the R1 will fit the sv, but I have bought allballs tapered ones anyway). The shaft might be a tiny bit short so I may have to machine a new one. Also, the speedo sensor on the R1 is on the rear wheel, not sure how i'll solve that, any advice would be great!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those rearsets are clean. can you post a link to where you got them?
G'day! yep there are alright huh! yes, Danmoto sells directly from their webpage, BUT I have found their eBay store to be cheaper. They also have some other bits and pieces I have bought since then, that are pretty awesome including Aluminium front reservoir and 3 dimensionally adjustable clipons (up, down, side to side, and angle!).

Cheers,

Savy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im guessing danmoto.com They dont have one for the sv specifically i think you have to get the right GSXR model
Hi, actually thats incorrect, they do sell one specifically labelled as SV650 compatible (although I suspect they are the same as the GSXR anyway!). Thats the one I bought :)

Also, if anyone is considering buying anything of Danmoto, buy off their eBay store. They list all their items in at least 4 eBay countries and the prices differ due to conversion rates etc. I saved 25 bucks by buying from their UK store in pounds (GBP)!

Cheers,

Savy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I'm Not seeing a set recommended for the SV...
I emailed them and asked. They said their "supply " for the US is out and should be avail again by NOV
Alright, here ya go guys! Specifically for the SV, any of these should be right, they are just in lots of currencies, mine were $160, so they have gone up a little but still good value!

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Danmoto-Bike-Accessories/Adjustable-Billet-Rearsets-/_i.html?_nkw=sv650&submit=Search&_fsub=461781719&_sid=1008079599

~ Savy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like that Evotech fender elim, might me my first real bike mod. And keep up the mod pics!!
Will do buddy! Also, Evotech also has a low profile version which is smaller (it doesn't have the SV cut out, its about an inch shorter)

~ Savy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay so time for an update! I have now picked up some silicon coolant pipes and a k & N air filter, will write these up as some point but I am going to have to do things a bit out of order now as I have been working on the front end swap and am pretty excited about it!

And guess what... The 08 R1 Front end fits! Piece of pie!

I can't do the full write up on it right this second, way too busy, but it does fit and it was a nice easy job, check back soon and i'll have all the tips and pointers regarding R1 front ends on 2nd gen Sv's!

Peace out!
~Savy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate to dig up an old thread but thank you SO much for detailing the instructions for installing your Danmoto exhaust. I have a Danmoto Carbon GP exhaust but didn't know if I had to cut off the old exhaust or if it would just slip right onto the old one.

Thanks again for your instructions. I'd love to read more about what you've done in the ~1 year since you last posted!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts