Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
I tried using this stuff on the inside of my car...was supposed to insulate sound. Anyway, it was very hard to get an even coat. I forget what brand I used, but I got it at Wal-Mart. I'm sure you could get a better brand, and it would be easier to do. Just make sure you mask it off well(I think you've got that part down).

Can't give you anymore input than that, though. I've been thinking about having my car rhino-lined.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I would recommend Rhino Liner or Line-X because it will probably come out a lot nicer and more even than a DIY. However, if you're on a budget you can get Herculiner in a tub with a roller from Auto-Zone or Advance Auto (can't remember which one). I've heard lots of good things about it, so that's probably your best bet. I used the spray on stuff by Dupli-Color on my top triple which came out pretty good, but it was a pain in the ass. Also, I don't think it would actually hold up in the bed of a truck since it's a little rubbery and I'm guessing would peel off from something heavy being drug across it. I would avoid using that stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Most of the DIY ones out there will do a decent job, big thing is surface prep, just as with any other paint. Strip all oils, waxes, OEM protective coatings, chicken wing greasy fingerprints, everything except the paint itself. Or the bedliner will bubble and separate. One of my buddies used some $19.95 el cheapo from Advance Auto in his worktruck, but stripped the wax and such with bestine. Two years later, still looks as good as a pro job. Just take your time and follow the directions.

·
Registered
920 Posts
The local Napa parts store sells, (or at least they used to sell), both the Herculiner and Duplicolor DIY kits. For comparison purposes they did one of their Ranger delivery trucks with the Herculiner stuff, and the other with the Duplicolor.

The Duplicolor stuff stood up better in their side-by-side test. Both trucks were prepped the same and used the same after the liner application. After about a year and a half though, both beds looked like crap. Keep in mind that up here we have about the wildest temperature extremes a truck will see. And....these trucks see duty daily hauling everything from a drum of oil, to a set of cast iron cylinder heads.

Personally, I've yet to see any DIY product that holds a candle to the professionally applied stuff. Their product is usually a two-part system that's mixed right at the gun during application. Some brands use heat as well.

I'd pass on the DIY stuff unless it's being done more for appearance purposes that real every day hauling abuse.

;)

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Yeah, have had a truck that was lined but I paid for it. Very even and resistant. Not sure how well a DIY job would turn out.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What got me thinking about this, is when I was loading the bike in and out of the truck 50,000,000 times this past couple weeks. My traction on things like my tailgate weren't that great, and I wished I had something with more traction. I don't like those cheap-ass matts or liners.

I don't carry much else in the truck. Occasional things from Lowe's/HD, bike, guns, bales of weed, immigrants, etc. Just yer basic stuff. I wouldn't consider any of it "heavy duty" use. Temps are anywhere from prolly 100 to 20... so not that extreme.

I'm gonna do some more research on this, and maybe other people will chime in with more reviews on specific brands.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I recommend a sealy posterpedic with some 300 thread count sheets, a nice down comforter and some feather pillows.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
I recall somebody on here a couple years back did a DIY job, and it turned out pretty darn good. They posted pics. It might have been that canadian girl who was always talking about cookies with TJD? I dont remember exactly...

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I thought jbswear's was a DIY and it turned out pretty nice.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I thought jbswear's was a DIY and it turned out pretty nice.
Yeah on his bike. Mike wants to use it for its intended purpose, in his truck bed :).

·
Registered
805 Posts
+1 for rhino lining. I have had my Nissan truck for over ten years and the lining still looks brand new when I wash it down with degreaser.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
I had a shop spray in the Line-X 6 years ago. It still looks like new. It has definitely helped with corrosion and traction. I just throw the sand bags in and the first time they freeze in place they won't move for the winter.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
I do know somebody who had a rhino liner applied. He loves it, and it looks great, and its non-slip. But it wasnt DIY.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
I think the shop did it for $195, but that was 6 years ago and in Indiana. Call around to your local truck accessory shops and see who does liners.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright. As long as I have a general idea. There's a place up the street that has all kinds of truck accessories, and has a Line-X sign out front. I'm assuming they could do it. Bad part is, I'd wanna get other stuff for the truck too... brush guard, KC lites, tail-light guards... the whole shebang. :p I miss my old Frontier. :(

Oh, went to Northern Tool with my dad yesterday afternoon. They moved from their old place into their new place, and there's alot more room. So much that they have about 1/4 of the floor space dedicated to trailers. You can pretty much build your own. :thumbsup: They supply the frame, which looks really beefy, for $250, then you add wheels, lights, wiring, bed, etc. Looks like a pretty cool setup if you wanted a trailer built for your needs at a good price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts