Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder for all of us Rust Belt, Frozen North and Quaint But Cold New England riders who are just venturing out to start the season:

1. Frost heaves, potholes and other biketraps lurk unseen. If your DOT crew hasn't been by lately, assume the worst. I ran over (into?) a pothole in my car on Saturday that jarred a filling loose.

2. Salt, sand, gravel and other accumulated debris want to kill you. Watch out, especially until the first real drensching rains have washed the roads.

3. It's been months since cagers have been aware of your existence. Be extra careful, vigilant and safe.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Yeah now isnt the greatest time to ride.I took my SV out for the first time today,my back tire hit some sand and spun like mad,luckily i was on a straight!Thanks for the tips.I'm a new rider.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I've ridden alot this winter and I've been riding like grandma riding a mechinical bull, slow so nothing breaks. It rained all day today, first step towards better riding :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
PGHRIDER said:
I hear its supposed to be a rainy spring here in the northeast, anyone hear anything
define rainy, its done nothing but rain for the last two years :(

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Good points Fatass, I plan to be super slow until I remember how to ride again!

G

·
0 Posts
why do you people live in such inhospitable environments? not that TX doesnt have its problems *cough* deer *cough* but jeez

W

·
0 Posts
All excellent points made above! Dug the SV out of the storage shed Saturday afternoon and put 80 miles on it over the weekend. Frost heaves, sand, salt, cagers, potholes and those stupid traffic lights that don't trip for motorcycles are all out and ready for us.

Another tip, especially for those in the more northern tiers: Be extra careful if your riding takes you into the early evening. As soon as that sun starts to drop, all of the melt-off running over the road starts to freeze up. Watch out for it!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
...and black ice in the mornings!

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I'm ready for more bikers to be out there with me so the drivers are a little more aware. I keep forgetting how helpful that is. But, now I have to worry about drivers getting angry with evil-doing riders and taking it out on me.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
Well your in Texas, weather's a little different up here not like I am going to go riding in this:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I rode on wednesday... snowed last night like crazy.. hell, it snowed so bad i had to miss my (makeup) drill today! and here i was hoping the high 40s/low 50s were here to stay!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
My wife says,"I got a flat today. A nice man noticed it while parked at work and changed it for me." Oh well, so I go out after dinner and check the tread area for a nail, nothing. I flip it over and yeowsa, what the ..... I go in and said, "what did you hit"? "Oh yeah, I hit a pot hole" It is a wide 50 series wheel on a Ford Focus and they go for well over $100 used on EBay. I heated it up and pounded it back into shape with a hammer and some body working shaping tool thingies. Good enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts