Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Bazzaz Z-Fi fuel controller on my 2017 SV650 and took it for a 45 minute test ride. My bike is totally stock, except for a G3 ergonomics throttle tamer. I'm using the enhanced map that comes preloaded. I see no improvement in the bikes performance at all after installing the Bazzaz unit. I was shocked. And actually, the bike's throttle response is worse. When I do full throttle roll-ons starting at 35mph in 3rd gear, there is a slight but noticeable delay in the throttle response. Before I would get an immediate surge of power as soon as I twist the throttle fully. Now, the bike moves but the surge happens about a second later. My guess is the the Bazzaz is causing delays due to the time it takes to process the signals it receives. Weird. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the unit or the software. And my bike doesn't feel like it lost power. If I'm just riding normally (not full throttle) I don't really notice any difference from stock. If Bazzaz "smoothness" means delayed performance, I'm not interested. Very disappointed. I'm going to mess with it for a little while longer but I get the feeling I'll end up removing this thing. I did not dyno my bike and don't plan to. Has anyone else had similar results? Better results?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have you gone through all the calibration processes? Checked your TPS?

Weird that you're noticing negative results. Whatever is causing it it's not processing time for the ZFi. I'd guess it's an anomoly in the fuel map, like it's running rich down low in 3rd so the engine response becomes fluffy. Only way to know is to get it on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor, or get the AFM auto-tuning add-on. That really is the only way to get the most out of a piggyback ECU. Every motor is different, not to mention other variables like climate, elevation, fuel type and quality etc.

FWIW (absolutely nothing to you...) my 08 responded really well to the ZFi with full exhaust map available from the website... but I also added - you guessed it - a full exhaust system, plus K&N air filter and velocity stacks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you gone through all the calibration processes? Checked your TPS?

Weird that you're noticing negative results. Whatever is causing it it's not processing time for the ZFi. I'd guess it's an anomoly in the fuel map, like it's running rich down low in 3rd so the engine response becomes fluffy. Only way to know is to get it on a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor, or get the AFM auto-tuning add-on. That really is the only way to get the most out of a piggyback ECU. Every motor is different, not to mention other variables like climate, elevation, fuel type and quality etc.

FWIW (absolutely nothing to you...) my 08 responded really well to the ZFi with full exhaust map available from the website... but I also added - you guessed it - a full exhaust system, plus K&N air filter and velocity stacks.
I did talk to Bazzaz tech support. They are actually very helpful. Everything checked out when I was on the phone with them. I think it's just a map issue and most likely the map that came with the unit just doesn't work well for me. I'm using the bike's stock exhaust and air filter. I'm going to start with a blank map, make some tweaks and test. The only area that I want to tweak is 3K to 4.5K RPM, maybe from 5% to 30% throttle. Stock, I have no issues from 5K RPM and above so I'm going to leave that area blank on the map. Unfortunately, winter will be here soon and I'll probably run out of time to test.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad you shared your experience here even though it's not been a net positive.

Lots of times people (not you) will make it seem as though you can throw a PC or bazzaz and everything will magically be better. Engines oftentimes don't work that way.

Hopefully your experiments can get the bike where you want it. If not then maybe taking it to a tuner would be the answer even if it remains all stock otherwise.

I've avoided going the exhaust and performance route on this gen 3 SV but if I did I'd probably opt for a flashed or remapped ECU.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad you shared your experience here even though it's not been a net positive.

Lots of times people (not you) will make it seem as though you can throw a PC or bazzaz and everything will magically be better. Engines oftentimes don't work that way.

Hopefully your experiments can get the bike where you want it. If not then maybe taking it to a tuner would be the answer even if it remains all stock otherwise.

I've avoided going the exhaust and performance route on this gen 3 SV but if I did I'd probably opt for a flashed or remapped ECU.
Two days ago I did some more testing and the bike actually felt smoother in the lower gears and RMPs. Playing with the fuel map seemed to have worked. Then suddenly my engine light came on with an FI error! I got off of the highway, checked out the bike, but didn't see or smell anything strange. After reading this and other forums, some people report the issue and say their bike runs fine despite the engine light being on. Others don't have the problem. I also didn't have the problem when I first started using the system several weeks ago. Why now?

Well, I removed the Bazzaz system completely. I'm done with it. I don't want to ride around with an engine check light, even if it's harmless. How will I know when I really have a problem?

I agree with you Erika, IF I ever feel the need to mess with the fueling again I'll go with a flash, like from Woolich. I'm done with piggy-back systems.

After uninstalling the Bazzaz, the FI error went away, and the bike feels more responsive than with the Bazzaz installed. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Contrary to popular belief, often the factory engineers do know what they're doing.
Perhaps, but the compromises manufacturers make to meet noise and mileage regulations negatively affect drivability, and the aftermarket steps in to fill the need.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, often the factory engineers do know what they're doing.
Agreed that they do. Not that there isn't more power to be had by modifications but getting that power is more involved than a simple bolt on though a remapped ECU might be the closest thing to that. If anything that's where manufacturers seem to have gotten better is in cutting the performance gap between the emissions legal stuff they put on a bike and what the aftermarket can achieve. Back in the day it was largely assumed, correctly so, that putting a pipe and jet kit on a bike would increase power by 10-15% and later with the EFI, it was the pipe and PC would get you 5-8%. It's remarkable that they can make say an SV that meets tough euro 4 standards but they still squeezed out a few more HP than the gen2.

No surprise really as companies like yamaha and kawasaki have far larger budgets than small outfits that make pipes, etc, to do research and maximize performance while still being legal.

If you're going to chase performance then go for it but you have to be prepared to look at the whole package (pipe, intake, ECU, etc).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dale Walker at Holeshot performance knows what he's doing. Full header system, new fuel map. K&N filter and a modded airbox gets you about 4 horsepower and a 10% fatter midrange torque curve. About $1000. Not worth it to me. I have always believed that adage that if you want a faster bike, buy one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Perhaps, but the compromises manufacturers make to meet noise and mileage regulations negatively affect drivability, and the aftermarket steps in to fill the need.
Sometimes. I have rejetted carbs in the past to fix throttle response problems. All of my injected bikes have run fine. My SV has no throttle response issues. I don't know what a standalone fuel controller would help. My Duc has a power commander on it but thats from the previous owner and goes along with aftermarket exhaust and intake mods.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sometimes. I have rejetted carbs in the past to fix throttle response problems. All of my injected bikes have run fine. My SV has no throttle response issues. I don't know what a standalone fuel controller would help. My Duc has a power commander on it but thats from the previous owner and goes along with aftermarket exhaust and intake mods.
A lot of the aftermarket exists because there is a subset of motorcyclists that are tweakers and will always want to change stuff. Some of it does nothing, some of it works a little and some of it makes things worse. My 06VFR ran like a top, yet there was a group on the forums constantly talking about tweaking the FI to fix some imaginary problem or another usually with negative results.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
A lot of the aftermarket exists because there is a subset of motorcyclists that are tweakers and will always want to change stuff. Some of it does nothing, some of it works a little and some of it makes things worse. My 06VFR ran like a top, yet there was a group on the forums constantly talking about tweaking the FI to fix some imaginary problem or another usually with negative results.
Amen brother.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts