Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going to every place but my local stealership, I can not find the right battery for my '01 SV.

Does anyone know of any good places online to order from?

Thanks
(tried search and nothing really came up)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also,
I am told that I need a 12A-BS - Does a 12-BS work as well?

The 12-BS is tall by a small amount - 1/8" taller IIRC

·
Registered
606 Posts
Switch to a YTZ-7S or a YTX7L-BS and save money and weight!

·
Registered
430 Posts
DucOwner said:
I couldn't find the YTZ-72 but the YTX7L-BS is $8 more than the recomended Yusa @ $69. The recomended YT12A-BS is $61. (parts411.com) what is the difference?

is this a decent price?

side note, I think my battery is toast. its a 2000 and I ride every day so it gets used. but now when I thumb the starter nothing happens, no click no nothing. But the horn and lights work. if I press the starter for a few minutes it will catch.

5 years seem about normal wear for a battery?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
five years is pushing it. Sounds like what mine was doing. 61 is I think what I ended up paying for the yt12a-bs

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
punkjumper said:
DucOwner said:
I couldn't find the YTZ-72 but the YTX7L-BS is $8 more than the recomended Yusa @ $69. The recomended YT12A-BS is $61. (parts411.com) what is the difference?

is this a decent price?

side note, I think my battery is toast. its a 2000 and I ride every day so it gets used. but now when I thumb the starter nothing happens, no click no nothing. But the horn and lights work. if I press the starter for a few minutes it will catch.

check your charging system too, but if your running ok once you get it started, it prolly is the battery

·
Registered
722 Posts
punkjumper said:
DucOwner said:

is this a decent price?

Wait a minute here: you press the button and nothing...nothing...nothing...boom it works? That sounds more like a contact corrosion problem to me. Try wiggling the button and see if it works.

T

·
0 Posts
Nimbus said:
punkjumper said:
DucOwner said:

is this a decent price?

Wait a minute here: you press the button and nothing...nothing...nothing...boom it works? That sounds more like a contact corrosion problem to me. Try wiggling the button and see if it works.
Could also be the clutch cut off switch getting stuck or the side stand cut off switch. Batteries do not die instantly. The die slowly. There should a quarter crank or something if the battery has outlived its life. Otherwise it is something else.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
430 Posts
tekxtc said:
Could also be the clutch cut off switch getting stuck or the side stand cut off switch. Batteries do not die instantly. The die slowly. There should a quarter crank or something if the battery has outlived its life. Otherwise it is something else.

Good Luck.
I have determined it is the clutch causing the problem. When I give the lever a good hard sharp tug it will start and when I hold the clutch in without letting go and briefly thumb the starter it starts every time. the clutch switch is defiantly the problem.

my prob. is I don't know how to fix it. (but at least I know how to work around the problem now) I've adjusted the clutch and it doesn't help. my cable is quite streched (about a finger tip with of screw let out at the lever) where does the connection occur to let the motor start with the clutch disengaged?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts