Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok couple of questions. Where have you all purchased replacement batteries? How much were they and what type were they. I dont trust Walmart or fleet farm batteries and my dealer could supposedly order a stock one but for about 100$ even, which seems ridiculously high to me or he has a "bike master" for 70$. I ended up just running down to batteries plus and picked up a Xtreme XTA12A-BS and now ive returned home to find that the terminals are opposite the configuration of the bike! To top it off I am stranded because the bike is my only mode of transport so i have to wait until friends get off work to do anything about this. So has anyone had this much trouble dealing with replacement batteries or is it just my luck? Thanks in advance for your responses and allowing me to vent a little :-X.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I bought one from wal-mart when I was in a pinch and it worked just fine.  I've also bought the stock Yuasa online for about $60 if I remember correctly.  They ship dry, I believe, so you need to be comfortable handling the acid filling yourself if you go that route. You also need to be abke to charge them correctly (with an appropriate charger). I actually prefer doing these things myself.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
just order the stock battery online. you won't pay $100 if you shop around online a little.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Or just flip the battery around =) - [Note to self, don't do that with the stock battery as I did after my shock swap - the cables were stretched a bit so I thought, why not just turn it around? well needless to say I had to fish out the main fuse after that idiotic move]

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input all. Ideally though im trying to take care of this asap because im missing work in result of all this crap and finding rides is getting harder. I contemplated rerouting the wires etc or flipping the battery but Id rather just get this done right. Also any ideas why the terminals would be swapped if the battery part numbers were the same. I was told that the BA/AB part of the model number determined the side of the positive and negative terminals. I bought the A-BS (which it states on the Yuasa site as stock) and the terminals are swapped. Overseas switch? Or am I just missing something once again?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New question for anyone with a 2001 or first gen model, when sitting on your bike is the positive terminal on the left side? In all the pictures of the stock battery it shows it on the right however on my bike the positive cable is on the left. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ok, sitting on the bike, the pos cable is on the left, and the neg cable is on the right - and the terminals are on the top of the battery on the rear-wheel side

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep thanks, I think the guy I bought the bike from was playing a bit too much with the cables, I just rerouted them and its all good, Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
remember to figger in shpping (battery acid is hazerdous transport) if you buy online.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just got one from this site about a month ago. Good price. Free shipping. Came in good time and was a gel cell too!!

http://motorcyclebatteriesusa.com/battery-finder-list.asp?battery=262

I went with the Koyo but you can always go with the OEM Yuasa.

One thing that I don't think was said before is if you do buy online, they can only ship batteries ground do to it being Hazerdous material ( or so I found when I was looking).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts