Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to go purchase a battery tender today after work. I would like to know which one of the two I have listed you would reccomend for a first time SV owner (for example get the 6 or 12 volt size). Or if there is another tender out there that is any better. Thanks in advance for any and all info.

Here are links to the two I have been looking at because they seem to be the only ones that I can find in my local motorcycle shops:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/112/950/ITEM/Battery-Tender-Junior-Charger.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/112/37/ITEM/Battery-Tender-Plus-Charger.aspx

·
Registered
130 Posts
The first and smaller one would work fine given the small size of battery in the motorcycle. If you were using on a car as well I might say step up to the larger model, but for bike only go for the small one.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Just get the $30 one. The more expensive one just charges a little faster is all.

They both do exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
i paid $19.95 for mine at WallyWorld...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
i paid $19.95 for mine at WallyWorld...
:eek: they've gone up, I only paid $12.95, been very dependable, I've had my wally world charger for almost 10 years

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I'd go with the cheaper one. After I got my tender I realized I could've done the same thing with my car battery charger, just switch the stupid thing to 2amp instead of 6. Oh well. The tender was under $20 at walmart so I didn't care too terribly much.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
I picked up a tender from work for free! We were throwing them out, so I threw one into my car instead. Best part is that it can tend two batteries at once, so I can plug the bike and something else into it.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
^^^Based on the photo above, I would have to agree with Harsh, if only because it comes with better connectors. The weatherproof ones on other tenders are a PITA to work with and unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have a full size charger..50 amps, 10 amps and 2 amps..purchased a resistor from Radio Shack for $.50 cents that knocks the 2 amp down to .75 amp. The tender from Walmart provides a conection wire that you can keep on the bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The low amperage one will work fine. They arent really "charging" the battery per se, it's more like maintaining the proper voltage for longer periods in between running the bike and letting the R/R charge it. I have a bunch of the little ones, JR's, and they work great for everything. I have them on my ATV, motorcycle, and in the camper holding charge on 2 8D deep cycles. .75A is plenty to hold a charge, even on my twin 8D's (huge).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with everyone else. I've got one that's 20 years old that looks like it would charge a cell phone it's so small and every spring I drop the battery back in the bike and it cranks it over quickly. I also have the $20 special from WalMart and it's fine, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts