Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I bought my K5 SV650S with 1,600 miles, in really good condition. Being a few years out of date I did regular maintenance like fluids, oil, etc., and of course a new battery. Its been my every day transportation since I bought it and I've noticed my gauges and headlights are progressively dimming. And when I turn the key on to let the fuel pump prime, it makes a deeper buzzing noise like the electrical system is being starved. Also, the bike struggles to turn over when I start it. Does it sound like a defective battery or something else?

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
... the bike struggles to turn over when I start it. Does it sound like a defective battery or something else?
Good first check is make sure the battery terminals are secure. If the terminals are good, then most likely problem is the battery, even if it is brand new. What brand is it? Where was it purchased?

You can test the battery yourself by 1) charge it overnight, then 2) measure the voltage at the terminals while cranking the engine. Fully charged, the battery should show no less than 9v under heavy load (cranking starter), 10v is preferable.

An alternate test is to see if the bike cranks strong when jumped from a car battery. If so, then the starter, cables, and connections are good; leaves only the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! And the battery is a Yuasa. I bought it from my local Suzuki dealership. Have you heard of/experienced any problems with that brand?

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
Yuasa had a run of sudden battery failures about 5 years ago (based on reports in the Down Time Files of MCN; excellent tech section btw). From recent posts here on SVR, most folks have reported good experience with Yuasa, but is possible to get a defective battery and have early failure.

Buying a battery from the dealership is good as they usually have pretty fast turn over. I mostly asked about the battery type/source as a data point to add to the SVR knowledge base.

First thing to do though is find out if the battery is really the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to both of you. Btw, do either of you know if the '05 model has a trickle charger connector? I checked the manual but couldn't find anything, and I haven't had the spare time to pull my seat and look for myself.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The SV does not come with the electrical pigtail. Those are usually included with the charger when you buy it.
Battery Tender (TM) pigtails can be bought separately so you can put them on multiple vehicles and use the same charger.
I got one for my van since it rarely gets started or goes anywhere. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
another check point may be the the other end of the ground cable that attaches to the motor and or frame.. makes sure the bolts are tight

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
ALSO, remember when you buy a lead-acid motorcycle battery that the battery is not really usable until you fill it with acid AND charge it. If you add acid and then toss it in your bike, it won't perform correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts