·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001-2002 SV650S (Partial Fairings)
*Initial break down
**What works been done since
***What's going on now

*So this is a new one for me in 30 years. My bike stopped working last summer and I had to have it trailered home. There seems to be some confusion on what happened- I thought I'd been riding on just my battery and after a long trip, it died and couldn't restart. My dad said I called him and told him I had stopped and when I tried to restart it, the starter wouldn't stop spinning and the bike wouldn't start. He's probably got the better memory since I was literally leaving a doctor appt about brain damage from a car crash. That's the back story.

**I put a new relay and brand new battery in this spring. Then the petcock started leaking. Anyone notice the OEM petcock output points straight at the tank and pinches the hose until it rubs through?? Sealed the leak and cut back the damaged hose. Fired it up a few rides later and got all geared up, turn around to a fuel waterfall. Decided to put the new one I had on finally and found the hose was rubbed through. Replaced that, used big ass dogs to twist the outlet up until it no longer would rub the valve cover, replaced the hose, screw down hose clamps cuz fuck those spring style. I'm 2 tanks of fuel through it, no issues yet. That's everything I've done.

***Today I tried to start it and it acted like a dead battery. The charger was showing 85% charge and 13.9~v coming off the battery. If I charged it until full, and used the "Alternator Check" feature, I'd get a blinking fault symbol, but it's not like it's got an alternator, so I decided to check it running. I couldn't get it to turn over hardly even at 85% so I used the 30A Start feature on the charger for less than the automatic 60sec cycle, and finally get it started. Now at the battery, the charger is telling me I'm getting 15.5~ volts and dropping. Recharged it to full a couple times until it said it was full each time, 13.9~v. Little trouble turning it over but it fires. Drive 2 miles, shut it off to fill up. Better, but still slower than normal crank, but it's warned up so it fired like 3rd crank. Drove probably less than 10miles. It was raining before I got on, so wet roads. Shut it down once more and it fired right up. Get home, and there's literal smoke coming out of the back of my seat. Ripped the seat off and now it's on fire. Race around and find gloves and a big ass set of dogs, work the battery out of the bike. I've got 264 miles on this battery TOTAL. I can post pictures if needed. There's not a single surface on it that's not round at this point, including the bottom, and the top which looks about to burst.

Here's EVERY symptom I've noticed this year-
•No high beams (pulled use apparently)
•Gauges and headlights dim with brake light
(It's only when the brake light comes on, and it's just enough to notice if you're looking for it)
•Possibly slight intermittent hesitation when cruising in the 5k range, happens repeatedly the entire time you're cruising. (It's so minor I still haven't figured out if it's actually hesitating over and over, or it's just vibration from the road, there's NO change on the tachometer, nothing to indicate it's happening, and it's so fast and minor I may be imagining it) I haven't done a tune up yet this year, and had to run half a tank of 2 year old premium mixed with new gas and Seafoam, so it's possible there's a plug issue. That's actually why I was waiting to change petcocks. The leak was fixed with JB Stick Weld and I'd rather use up that trash gas on the old one.

Anyone got some ideas? Is there something in my electrical doing this? Or did my lovely china battery just turn into a flaming beach ball due to fault of it's own?

I may be a little off in miles- I use kilometers and had to convert. I average 100 Miles between low fuel lights

·
Super Moderator
9,015 Posts
The Regulator/Rectifier failed in high voltage mode and cooked the battery. It is a common failure on the gen1 SV650. Change that pos out ASAP with a cool running MOSFET type R/R.

If lucky, only the battery fries. If unlucky, the lights will blow, the tachometer will fail and the ignitor will fry causing no spark. $$$

The fuel line interfering with the valve cover might be due to the wrong petcock installed. We just saw that in this thread.

·
Registered
440 Posts
That reminds me of Murphy's first law of mechanics: if it gets stuck, hammer it. If it breaks, it had to be changed. 😄

Reactions: Geo Smith

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That reminds me of Murphy's first law of mechanics: if it gets stuck, hammer it. If it breaks, it had to be changed. 😄
I'm a SeaDoo mechanic, and forums act like they're made on voodoo, all problems are bad spark, old gas, part slap it because it's obviously black magic.

·
Registered
797 Posts
In this case, Tee nailed it (as he usually does!). That's definitely a bad r/r and the swap to the mosfet style is the solution. I had the same situation on one of my old Hondas.
That funky petcock design is also notable, as mentioned. It seems there are a couple of designs floating around...
Seeing as this was a month ago, did you make any headway with the charging system?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts