Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to hold the ignition for almost 10 seconds until it starts to crank.

I used to think that it was something to do with the wheel/gear since wiggling the bike back and forth and then trying the ignition again worked. Or this was just coincidence and the time in between is the same 10 seconds....

FYI: I recently installed the Gorilla Alarm. I haven't replaced the battery since I bought it (~3yrs). The PO probably didn't change it either...

time for a new one?

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
If you have a multimeter you can test the volts coming from the battery. If at full charge it is less then 12.5 with nothing on them it will have problems.

Or take it to a store that can perform a test to confirm.

·
Super Moderator
8,936 Posts
I have to hold the ignition for almost 10 seconds until it starts to crank.
Do you mean it takes 10 seconds before the starter even begins to crank, or 10 seconds for the engine to start?

If you have to futz around for 10 seconds before the starter cranks, then check to be sure the clutch switch plug is fully seated.

"Crank" means the starter motor is turning, but the engine is not running.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
10 seconds of silence, then it "cranks" (i.e. it tries to start) and the motor begins running normally.

·
Super Moderator
8,936 Posts
10 seconds of silence, then it "cranks"
Most likely the clutch switch or plug. Could be a failing starter button or starter relay too.

Edit to add: make sure the battery terminals are tight.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see the clutch switch, starter button, and starter relay plus other stuff in Figure 8.12.
But where is the clutch switch plug?

·
Registered
968 Posts
you'll have to look under the clutch perch (the part that attaches the working lever to the handlebar) to find the connector for the clutch switch, if that is what the previous posts are referring to. it sticks right out of the bottom and shouldn't be that hard to miss.

unhook it, clean it, put it back on nice and snug.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Did you install the Gorilla alarm with the tip sensor? It may very well be one of the issues mentioned above, but if you've installed or calibrated (is that's possible) the tip sensor incorrectly, it may give you issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,936 Posts
Mr. Ferguson has an excellent point. Can you disable the alarm to do a test?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that you mention it, yes the tip sensor is installed incorrectly.
I continuously get the warning that the bike is tipped over.

I'm guessing it drains the battery?? Oops

·
Super Moderator
8,936 Posts
I don't know it that will kill the battery, but if the TOS is activated, it may be doing some sort of "time out"; that could be where the 10 second delay is coming from.

Is the 10sec time exactly repeatable, and does it do it every time, or is it more of a random occurrence?

First thing to do is fix the TOS. :)

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
The easier of the two is to just jump the clutch sensor terminals with some wires and see if it fires right up. I had the same happen, and that fixed the issue. Take off the connector you see under the clutch perch and jump the 2 terminals.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not a consistent 10s, but neither is the TOS warning. Haven't correlated the two.
I just re-positioned the TOS and checked the battery voltage (12.55V)

I'll have to do some more testing to debug.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
If it continues to occur, bypass the TOS altogether until you've got whatever the problem is fixed. Then reinstall the TOS so you're only troubleshooting one issue at a time.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
is there any play in your clutch lever. if so when you wiggle the clutch lever just right then it starts ?

if so, the clutch lever and perch are worn out, replacment is fairly inexpensive $25-$30 iirc

I found that I had to replace my lever & perch from normal wear every 45k-50k or so

1 - 15 of 15 Posts