Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery died when I left the key in it overnight. Me being an idiot, decided to jump start the bike with an external battery. It worked. It ran for about 15 minutes and then suddenly shut off completely. Did not sputter and die or anything , just turned off.

I got a battery charger, and charged the battery up the correct way. However , now that the battery is fully charged, I still cannot get any electronics from the bike to turn on. When the key is in the on position, there is nothing.

i got a multimeter and i tested the battery , seems to be ok. i tested the starter relay , and i could not get a reading 'out' from the starter relay, so i figured it is broken. I replaced it, but i still cannot get the bike to turn 'on'.

all the fuses under the seat are fine, and the fuse on the starter relay is fine.

i dont know where to go from here

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Did you check the 30A fuse at the relay with a meter? Check for continuity between the two leads? How about power to the fuse block above the battery, any power there showing with a meter? What is the battery voltage at rest taken with a meter? If you jump the starter relay at the two external large terminals, will the starter motor spin? Did you disconnect the external battery once the engine was running? The starter relay has two 30A fuses, one is a spare. Did you look at the wrong one perhaps? No power at all is either a dead battery, blown fuse or an ignition switch or kill switch issue.

You need to trace power if the battery is indeed fully charged. There should be 12V to the ignition switch and then out. There should be power at the kill switch, at the fuse block, etc. You need to see where power is and where is stops. Recheck the 30A fuse for starters.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Yep just because it says 12v it doesn't mean is the same as a 12v car battery. You gotta look at the amps.

Probably a fuse, but you might want to check your green connector. Do a search for Green connector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you check the 30A fuse at the relay with a meter? Check for continuity between the two leads? How about power to the fuse block above the battery, any power there showing with a meter? What is the battery voltage at rest taken with a meter? If you jump the starter relay at the two external large terminals, will the starter motor spin? Did you disconnect the external battery once the engine was running? The starter relay has two 30A fuses, one is a spare. Did you look at the wrong one perhaps? No power at all is either a dead battery, blown fuse or an ignition switch or kill switch issue.

You need to trace power if the battery is indeed fully charged. There should be 12V to the ignition switch and then out. There should be power at the kill switch, at the fuse block, etc. You need to see where power is and where is stops. Recheck the 30A fuse for starters.
i checked the 30A fuse and every fuse, and checked them for continuity and they are all fine.

which two leads? the battery leads? if i check the voltage on the starter relay, it shows 12v coming from the battery, so the leads should be fine.

i am not sure how to check power to the entire fuse block but i will try.

battery shows 12.(?) volts .

if i jump the terminals of starter relay, starter spins yes , sounds strong to me

i disconnected it after the engine started running, yes

no i know one is the spare, i did not look at the wrong one

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep just because it says 12v it doesn't mean is the same as a 12v car battery. You gotta look at the amps.

Probably a fuse, but you might want to check your green connector. Do a search for Green connector.
i wish i had another battery to throw in it and check .. but i dont

if the battery was just weak, wouldnt the bike come on at all? wouldnt the headlights turn on but be dim? wouldnt the starter attempt to start but maybe just click or something?

when i cross the terminals on the starter relay, the starter will turn and turn. i started it this way and it ran probably 15 minutes. then it suddenyl shut off , and i have not been able to start it this way again.

ive checked the 'green connector' aka ignition plug , visually it is fine. I am not getting 12v to it though on any pins, with the ignition turned on , or off.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
When I said leads, I meant the two leads on the fuse. I'm thinking your battery is toast as MikeGyver stated earlier even though the starter motor was able to start the bike when you jumped the relay. The fully charged battery should show at least 12.5-13V and be able to hold the charge. I hate to recommend buying a new part, but if you can't find another good motorcycle battery to test with, buying a cheap replacement battery might be the way to test what is going on.

All you did was leave the ignition on and now you have this problem. I've heard that leaving the ignition on can damage ignition parts, but I've never been able to find out what parts other than draining the battery. You need to find another motorcycle battery or buy one in my view.

One other thing that you could do is to take apart the right hand switch gear and see if there is power at the kill switch and whether the switch shows any signs of burnout. A long shot I suppose. The ignition switch should be on for this test.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone for their help , it is highly appreciated, i had the starter relay wired backwards ... DOH

bike is back to running perfect.. no permanent damage from having it wired backwards AND running for 15 minutes ..lol

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If you just replaced the the relay, how did the wiring become backwards? Did you have to rewire the connector? I assume you had the Red wire on the wrong terminal. Just curious how you had the relay wired. Doesn't seem to explain why you had no power initially after you charged the battery, but before you replaced the relay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts