Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this is for my 2002 savage, but it could easily be applied to the sv....

my old battery is dead. i buy a new one. i hook it up to my smart shot trickle charger. nothing happens. i reverse the polarity, which should give me a red error LED blink. nothing. i hook up my old battery to the charger and it does the usual self test and starts charging. disconnect. retry the new battery in exactly the same way (theres really only two ways to do it anyway: red then black or black then red) and still nothing.

was i sold a defective battery or something? i thought that maybe im retarded and the posts had rubber protectors or something, but nope, all metal contacts, and im connecting the charger clamps directly to them.

no idea what im doing wrong here, or if im doing everything right to a defective battery. ???

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, but you did remember to put electrolyte in the cells, right? Unless it's a sealed battery, it would have been sold dry.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
e lo said:
I'm not trying to be a smart @ss, but you did remember to put electrolyte in the cells, right? Unless it's a sealed battery, it would have been sold dry.
lol, nah man, any info/questions are welcome.

i asked them if i had to add e-lyte or distilled water, and they said nope, just charge it. i took it out the box and it had tape over the yellow screws... to me that implies it's good to go. also checked the side level shadows and it *seemed* like the e-lyte was solid to about right at the low line.

after all that i called up the dealer i got it from and said everything i did, and not once did they mention adding e-lyte. so... who knows. im taking it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
andyauger said:
Sounds like an open cell. Better return it.
whats an open cell? (sorry, im slow with the lingo.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts