Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't really a debate or anything.
I'm mainly just looking for opinions and insight.

I have a 2006 SV650S. I've have almost everything I need for a GSXR front end swap except for a pair of clip ons / bars. ;D
My SV is the only street bike I've owned and have only dealt with the OEM clip ons. I've never ridden with bars.
-- I'm comfortable with the OEM clip ones but I feel like longer rides will be extremely uncomfortable?

Is there any set of clips on / bars that anyone would suggest?
Did you like them or not? and why?
How would they compare to the OEM clip ons?
I know bars are considered to be more comfortable.

I plan to use my bike for canyon carving, and just to enjoy the ride.. possibly go on a 3 hour trip soon to see a friend.

Thanks for your responses. Post pictures / whatever.

*** Forgot to mention, I'm keep the OEM front fairing on my bike.
So risers would probably be required if I went with clip ons.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I personally like the look of clipons better than a bar. Sounds like you want clipons with rise. Brands off the top of my head are Cycle Cat, LSL, and SV Racing (check vendor area on this site for SV Racing stuff).

I have a set of zero rise Vortex clipons with my gsxr front end. I've ridden all day with them with no probs, but that's me, and my belly is on the tank taking weight off my wrists.

·
Registered
513 Posts
clipons. not uncomfortable on long rides. great for canyon carving

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Bars and more leverage are better in town and out on roached out goat trail roads.
Usually low speed and pothole or obstacle avoidance.

Have to decide for yourself what percentage of high speed vs. low speed time you're putting in.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The SVRP 2.5" seem to be a near-perfect balance to me. "Sportier" feeling than full bars, but more upright than either no-rise or stock clips for what I find to be more comfortable ergos.

·
Registered
225 Posts
As far as comfort on long rides with clipons, that is going to have a large dependence on your body size. I am a short, smaller dude @ 5'4" 140 and I am replacing my clipons on my 06S with a set of bars to decrease the lean angle of my back and reduce the amount of weight on my wrists.

I do, as we all should, grip the tank with my legs and this takes a large amount of the weight off my hands but I still find my hands going numb due to the amount of weight that is still on them currently. I do also ride with two fingers on my brake and clutch levers, an old habit from my MX days.

I did a 6 hour trip to Mid Ohio raceway in 2007. For me, this was the first "big" trip I had taken and had no idea how it would be comfort wise. I had a huge tank bag that held almost all of my clothes so I could literally lay my chest on it to take almost all the weight off my hands. I have done several other 2-4 hour rides and really have not been crazy about the ergos. I am willing to sacrifice a bit of my "sport" for more of the "touring."

·
Registered
40 Posts
I put these tusk chub 1/1/8" bars with the 7/8 to 1/1/8 adapters on mine. They are about 3" taller and about 4" wider than the stock naked bars. I had to do some cable rerouting and a 3" longer brake line. I really like the feel of them.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I did higher bars with SW Motech risers and my back and neck have been thanking me (getting old, lol)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I watched the video on the Apex 3" riser clip ons and gave in.
Ordered a pair for $219.00 with free ground shipping..?
Anyways, we will see how it works out.
I hope to go naked eventually to be able to take advantage of all the adjustability in these clip ons.
Thanks for all your comments.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I also did a handlebar swap on my S. Cost was around $100 after all said and done. Much cheaper than riser clipons but still allows me to swap the bar for $30 if I want to change the position again. I could also add risers for $~30 and change the height, or swap another bar on there for a completely different riding position. Much more versatility.

Clip-on risers are great, but stock clipons already have 1.25" or so rise. You'll have probably about a 2" rise and not much pullback but you'll be able to set the angle which helps.

Bikemaster makes 7-8 different handelbars for about $30, so swapping bars is relatively cost efficient.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Any issues with the fairing clearance. They look great for long rides. I assume that the handling isnt much different?

I did higher bars with SW Motech risers and my back and neck have been thanking me (getting old, lol)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If you look at the pics of the yellow bike up top, Bikemaster Superbike bars and I have about 1/4" of clearance at full lock from the fairing and tank.

The guy with teh copper bike has risers, so he probably has even more clearance.

I used Outlaw risers/clamps and Bikemaster Superbike bars. You'll need +4 throttle cables from Motion Pro ($55 shipped) and brake lines.

Handling changes slightly, more leverage/maneuverability, but a bar like the Superbike ones you're still leaning forward, but your elbows are much more neutral. Theres still weight on the front end for curves, but more upright than clipons, so its sort of a middle ground.

I'm not the only one with Superbike bars, and theres a reason why.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Any issues with the fairing clearance. They look great for long rides. I assume that the handling isnt much different?
I have zero issues with clearance. Just ran out to the garage and took these in full lock:

What I will say is that I had to get longer throttle cables and brake lines (I used brake lines from a V-Strom) and swap out the S clutch cable with one for an N model.

I also had to unwrap the wiring harness from the frame spar to get more slack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts