Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about either getting GenMar risers the X103-which is the universal 1" rise only- or the up 1" back 1 3/8" version specific for the SV650 naked.

(My wifes bike is the 2001 model).

She has been riding it for about 4,000+ miles and has decided that when she is making tight turns that her right hand gets too far extended on left turns and makes throttle control difficult at a time when it could lead to an unhappy ending.

I've been contemplating the options and found on the Flanders sight the following specs about the standard SV bar: 7/8" diameter, Height 3.5", Width 26", Pull Back 7.5", Center 5".   I took personal measurements and found similar dimensions but I would guess more like 5.5 to 6" for pullback. 

Well I'm wondering the following about the Gen Mars :

I have already installed Galfer 2-line steel braided hose on the Suzuki.  Has anyone just installed the 1" risers (without additional pull-back)-the x103 and then just used the standard lines?   Or--Used them with a standard steel/kevlar 2- line but did not replace with any GenMar kit lines.

My second approach is to change the handlebars:

I'm wondering has anyone bought a bar that would give more in the 5" rise zone or about 1 1/2" more than the stock bars.   Did you replace your brake lines for longer ones when you did?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Tappin, I'm virtually certain that either of those GenMar risers require longer than stock brake lines, but I don't know if the Galfer lines you have will be long enough.  I think you can check by leaving all the lines attached, but unbolting the stock bars and/or risers, and simulating (with a wood shim or the like) the anticipated 1' rise. Does everything still turn without binding? Any kinks? I think you get the idea, I think you can make a good evaluation before committing one way or the other--let us know what you find out.

·
Eagle one
1,660 Posts
I have the 1" rise NO pullback risers on mine. Stock lines and cables work...... but sort of tight.

NO WAY the ones with the pullback can use the stock stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know after just reading your post I went ahha.  You know I can probably do just that and answer this age old question.....an age for me anyway.  I actually just went out and moved the bars back up a bit and found I could create an inch of room from the tank stock....I forgot I had moved the bar toward the tank to make a shorter "stretch" but of course solve one problem and make another.

Still if anybody already been there done that I'd like to know without making any effort first ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put the X103 risers on my SV. There is plenty of slack in the brake line as long as you readjust the clamp that holds the line against the fork. You may also have to cut the plastic ties to loosen things up and then replace them after you install the riser.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Alastor-that what I was hoping to here. I think the braided lines actually give more slack than the stock line does. It's just that the "X103" alone is about $70 vs $130 with the new lines.

Anybody do the big risers?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After doing some hunting here and at the FZ1 sight I came across the company

SW Motech @ www.twisted throttle.com/

It even has a picture installed using the 25mm without any cable changes.

These guys do risers for $39.99 as opposed to about $70 for GenMar. They also offer the risers in 20mm, 25mm and 30mm heights as well as an offset similar the up and back by GenMar. They look to be good knock-offs and member on the FZ1OA like 'em.

I know the general trend is usually down but for the short of stature and arm/upper body this is a great find. I'm going for the 30mm as I believe with 2 line steel cables I will ultimately have enough cable play. Will confirm after I get them in a couple days for future reference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts