Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I recently got a 2008 SV650 with some pretty crappy bar end mirrors that I want to replace. There are 2 major requirements for me:

1) Keep the same bar end weight to reduce vibration
2) They don't increase the bar width by much

My setup right now are the OEM bar end weights + mirrors that attach between the bolt and the end of the weight coming out to about 9oz and maybe half an inch increased bar width. I'll attach an image! Essentially I want something around this same setup, just with mirrors that don't flap back in the wind and vibrate like crazy (so high quality mirrors lol)

I bought the Woodcraft Bar End Weighted Sliders but didn't realize they are like 1.3inch outer diameter so won't support any clip on bar end mirrors... so probably need to return those (unless anyone else has any ideas) and grab the ones with the "Guard Mount" (just a smaller diameter section)... only thing is they don't weight nearly as much (2.4oz vs 4.5oz).

I've looked at CRG Mirrors, but they go directly outward increasing the bar width by like 4 inches on each side! Even the lane splitters do, which doesn't seem to make much sense to me... there's no way I'm gonna be folding my mirrors in and out every time I want to lane split. They are high quality and nearly match my current weight with the Woodcraft ends though.

Does anyone have any recommendation on a bar end mirror + weight setup?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Concerning the bar end weights, you can always increase them by using a longer bolt and adding a threaded or drilled brass/lead cylinder between the rubber one and the nut.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Concerning the bar end weights, you can always increase them by using a longer bolt and adding a threaded or drilled brass/lead cylinder between the rubber one and the nut.
Oh that's an interesting idea! You think that would still work with something like this though? I'm not really sure how the mechanism works, it's not like the usual bolt + rubber tube method.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I did it.
Bought an M6 (if I recall correctly) bolt about 8 cm long, had a friend building me two brass cylinders 16mm outside diameter, drilled them 6mm, and inserted them on the original assembly (with the new bolt).
I don't have bar end mirrors, but if they mount on the original bar ends with a bolt, it should work.

·
Registered
228 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
If you are getting excessive vibrations through the bars/frame check the Carb/Fuel bodies balance. This is the most common cause of vibrations especially on V-Twins. Bar-end weights may help a bit but they are treating the symptoms,not the cause.

HTH :)

Reactions: sv650bklyn

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I gotta say, if you NEED to fold your mirrors in in order to fit between two cars, you are cutting it WAY too close, whether it's legal or not wherever you live.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only time I lane split is in stopped traffic... which happens fairly often around here and 8 inches makes a big difference when trying to squeeze between cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts