Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one for the first time on a motorcycle salvage site today. Is it like the SV's big brother? It looks alot to me like a 919. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just sold my Bandit 600S, it was a great bike a little similar to the SV but more upright seating, more of a sport touring bike. It was a great first street bike for me, but my SV is a much better bike in my eyes.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Well, it's an inline 4, not a twin like the SV so it's basically more like a SS.

A friend of mine has one but I've yet to ride it. Seems to be a pretty fun bike though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like i said it was fun but the peg position is alot lower (or seemed like it) and i enjoyed riding on longer trips with it, but mine was a 96 and it was just time to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i saw somewhere that it has 98HP, so its more like a FZ 1, a sport tourer. A big tank on a detuned ss motor, with upright bars and a friendlier seat.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
It's a big, heavy, fast sport tourer. Fun to ride, but not nearly as flickable and light-feeling as the SV.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
They're a blast to own and operate. As dubtecv2 said, they aren't as nimble (taller and heavier), but they're much more comfortable for long distance trips.

The engine has its roots back in the early GSX-R engines of yesteryear. I'd happily own one, toss on some bags, and ride it across the country.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
I ended up with 2001 B12S for 2 up riding. It's way more comfy than SV. It's an oldschool bike with carbs, air/oil cooling, heavy weight. After throwing a top case and a tankbag it's getting to be a really good commuter/tourer. If I had more money though I'd buy a Vstrom1000 - FI, 6 gears, longer valve adj periods, even more upright position.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My friend has one. Super comfortable bike with nice seat hight. He tuned the forks and swaped the rear shock. Good aftermarket following for this bike. Its very easy to put gsxr parts on it like the SV. It is a lot heavier than the SV650.

·
Registered
998 Posts
buddy had a 600 I'd skip that but a 1200 oh yeah lots of torque.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My Dad just recently traded his BMW R1150R for an 07 Banit 1250S. Its a fantastic bike. Loads of power, very comfortable, and handles suprisingly well, I was shocked. Its got a two bros slip on and a seargeant seat. Sounds awsome. If your looking for a sport touring bike, this is it! Comparing the BMW to the Bandit...The Bandit takes the win.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A friend has the last model year of the air/oil cooled version. Has over 50 K miles on it and loves it. It is wider than the SV of course and is a little tall for me (i'm 5'6") but it is a great bike and he has done tons of sport touring on it. They are very reliable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Before I bought my SV, I was scrounging up the cash to buy a 1998 Bandit with about 8K on it. The guy wanted $2800, but I could only come up with $2500 and he wouldn't come down. It sold the day I came up with the rest of the cash :mad: Oh well, my SV is a great bike too!

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
My Dad just recently traded his BMW R1150R for an 07 Banit 1250S. Its a fantastic bike. Loads of power, very comfortable, and handles suprisingly well, I was shocked. Its got a two bros slip on and a seargeant seat. Sounds awsome. If your looking for a sport touring bike, this is it! Comparing the BMW to the Bandit...The Bandit takes the win.
Holeshot's header gives VERY nice gains on the new bandit
you know, just a thought

·
Registered
214 Posts
friend of mine has a Bandit 1200S... it's BIG, but so is my friend. It's a sport touring bike, so the riding position is very upright. Loads of power. The SV takes him off the line, but he catches up when he hits 2nd (right about the same time I'm hitting 3rd). No replacement for displacement. ;D

recently, I saw a bandit (or at least that's what I thought it was) at a bike night... it caught my eye because the shape of the fairings looked a lot like my 2002 SVS, but it had extra "vents" on the bottom with one wide headlight, and a BIG motor... Anyone have any insight into what it was? Or at least what generation of bandit looks like that? I tried the google, but gave up when I got distracted by something shiny... :p

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My dad has a bandit 1200S. Its a nice bike. ITS VERY comfy. Its quicker than the SV but pretty heavy and doesnt handle quite like the SV. My brother has an SV1k and the 1200 is just a tad slower than the SV1k.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
recently, I saw a bandit (or at least that's what I thought it was) at a bike night... it caught my eye because the shape of the fairings looked a lot like my 2002 SVS, but it had extra "vents" on the bottom with one wide headlight, and a BIG motor... Anyone have any insight into what it was? Or at least what generation of bandit looks like that? I tried the google, but gave up when I got distracted by something shiny... :p
Bandit 1200s 1996-2006

1 - 20 of 25 Posts