Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already written about my coolant leak in another thread, but yesterday when I went to the bike for what was supposed to be a 3-4 hr ride, I saw wet drops of what looked like motor oil on the ground. I searched for the source, and it looks to be coming from near the front sprocket. (The dripping is right around the side stand.) I dropped off the bike at the local mechanic, who said he thinks it's the seal around the countershaft (?) -- he said that is the only possible thing in that vicinity that could leak motor oil.

But I wanted to check in with you guys - does this sound right? Also, what could cause this (either the leak or a bad seal, if that's what it is) at 3700 mi?? I did leave some o-ring friendly degreaser on the chain for about 10-15 min last week before rinsing it off, but I can't believe that would cause the oil leak...

·
Registered
152 Posts
could there be extra "de-greaser" on the sprocket and that is what is dripping off?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered about extra de-greaser, but I highly doubt it... I rinsed off the degreaser per manufacturer instructions with some water, wiped the chain down, then went for a short ride to warm the chain and then lubed it with Bel-Ray lube, which is pretty dry and white (i.e. can't be mistaken for motor oil).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is a countershaft seal leak something that could possibly drip as slowly as ~1 drip per minute or two? Or is it a situation where there's so much pressure, if you have a leaky countershaft seal, it should be a steady stream?

I still have trouble believing this seal could go with such low mileage. I haven't heard back from the local shop yet so if anyone has any other ideas I'd love to call them up and tell them to hold off so I don't have to pay the labor for them to take everything apart just to get to the seal and inspect it. :(

·
Registered
301 Posts
I know its been three weeks but I was searching this topic because I have a leak too. From what I found it's the gear shift shaft seal in this pic, drips right under the side stand. I'll let you know how it works out but I'm replacing parts 21,22,23, and 26.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
This sometimes happens from over tightening the chain. Puts undue stress on the countershaft and can cause the seal to fail or shaft to bend.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to report back on my problem -- the shop said the coolant leak was from a bad seal on the thermostat, and they said the thermostat was installed incorrectly by the factory or dealer. They installed a new thermostat, and no coolant leak since then. As for the "oil," they said it was just excess chain lube, the countershaft seal was ok.

I guess I need to work on my chain cleaning procedure. ???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts