Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I went for a ride to Lake Berryessa. I was having a real difficult time handling tight twisties. The rear end kept wanting to jump all over the place as I hit every bump in the rode. Wasn't helping my confidence in picking up the pace cause the back kept moving.

My question is, my adjusting the stock shock will that help any? I figure its set on the factory setting. So I should be able to loosen it up a little, or the rear adjustment doesn't do anything??

·
Registered
744 Posts
The rear shock sucks. Adjusting might help slightly, but it's still going to suck. I'd suggest going to www.svraceshop.com and checking out their budget GSXR shock. They take a GSXR shock and lengthen (if more ride height is wanted), rebuild it, revalve it, anodize it, and will put the correct spring on there for you. It's not that much and will be a huge improvement over the stock unit.

http://www.svraceshop.com/suspension.asp#B1

http://www.motospecialties.com/MSInventoryList.asp?Store=SVRaceShop&Category=Suspension - Shocks&Type=Products by Bike&Type1=Suzuki&Type2=SV650

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do all you Sv riders have this problem with the rear shock? On my old ex500 the rear suspension was better. I just can't believe the suspension is that bad, but it showed in my ride today.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes we have.
I´m dealing with a stock rear shock too; and it´s just like you described. Trying to adjust it is just a time waste.
Most of the guys over here had replaced it with the svraceshop products or with some ohlins or penske(8981).

I´ll replace mine as soon as I can (my next mod).

Did you improved your front suspension? From stock it´s just as bad as the rear.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front is still stock. Front in dives badly but the rear seems alot worse. Guess my next mod is a shock. Can't ride twisties aggressivly with this stock crap. Will try the cheap route 1st, a 636 shock and see what happens from there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aren't I too big of a fat a** :eek: for a 04+gsxr 1000 shock? With gear I approx. weight 195lbs. Won't it be too soft?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Now I know you wrecked not long ago...are you sure something isnt bent or out of alignment? I would be willing to bet thats your problem. I do agree the rear shock sucks ass. I put a gixxer shock in mine and its a world of difference. First I think you need to have the straightness of the bike and its components first

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You got a good point Phelix. Before the crash the rear didn't move around as mich as it did today. Guess the safest bet is to take it in and have it checked out. I've been up and down over this bike and can't find a problem. Hopefully the bike will be ok and I'm just pushing to hard and need a new shock.

·
Registered
214 Posts
mrwoo, As confirmed by the last posts, the stock suspension is meager (pricepoint driven) check out the Modifications section of this forum - the first two stickies are forks and shocks. Not sure if you are into doing the work yourself- some upgrades are a little more work than other (more expensive) ones.

Another option, let the pros do it. Aftershocks in Palo Alto is nearby. they have a basic upgrades to full race stuff. Search for Aftershocks in this forum.  Call them. And they'd be a good option if there's something out of whack you'd want a pro to correct it.

I bit the bullet and bought fork upgrades from Traxxion and going to attempt to install this week- I am not  a wrencher but learning. if I screw it up I'll get some help. then the rear.

Read up...hours of reading on sv suspension tweeks written here over the past 6 years. good luck

later, ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts