Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I dumped it on the right side a couple of weeks ago and everything seemed fine (attention anyone who does not have frame sliders - GET THEM). My SM T-2 bars a little off, but she started and I was able to ride home (see previous comment about frame sliders). BUT, now the starter button doesn't seem to do it every time, and this last weekend I almost got stranded out in the woods. So, naturally, I took the whole assembly apart and hit it with WD-40. Ok, maybe I'd had a beer but it seemed like the thing to do at the time. My point is this - does anyone know whether WD-40 will kill a circuit? Next question, anyone ever deal with this situation? What is the best solution? It seems like it really is the switch....???

·
Registered
96 Posts
WD-40 is for the most part non-conductive, although you may have dislodged a piece of something and moved it on top of one of the contacts. Best idea would be to take that sucker apart again and see if anything is loose.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I would check and make sure your clutch and sidestand switches are also fully connected....those could have come loose in the drop as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The WD-40 should not have made the problem any worse nor should it have fixed the problem. WD-40 is non-conductive so its not really going to help fixing any contacts that may not be working. Did you disassemble the switch to the point where you can see the contacts being made when you pushed the switch? I would spray this area with contact cleaner and also make sure that you did not pull any wires loose when the bike fell. Maybe someone else here has had this problem and can help you further.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome ideas guys, thanks. I didn't think about those things. Contact cleaner and checking the other connections should do it - thanks again!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Did you get a chance to work on the switch some more, if so is it working now?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not yet - I work 12-hour days, so I have to wait until this weekend. But I'm gettin' ready.... I'll let you guys know how it works out....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts