Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a first gen last season carbs were just cleaned by the previous owner I have the paper work. I would ride it for a few mins here and there over the winter and when the weather got nice recently it began to back fire a little bit randomly.

I installed a Viper Micro and it is still back firing could this be bad gas or do I need to mess with the carbs?

I figure run a few tanks of new gas then see what happens. It also doesn't stay running long at idle with no choke.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it may be worthwhile to run a tank or two with seafoam added. That seems to help a lot.
I just read about that stuff I am gonna give it a whirl thanks!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On a scale of 1-10 how hard is the carb removal and cleaning?

I am mechanically inclined to an extent but lately seems like everything turns into more of a project then it should...

·
Registered
26 Posts
In general, Gas loses 1-3 octane per month depending on how its stored. Sounds like ur carbs a little dirty- try running seafoam. Check your plugs too. Sometimes new plugs are what it takes to make it tick.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In general, Gas loses 1-3 octane per month depending on how its stored. Sounds like ur carbs a little dirty- try running seafoam. Check your plugs too. Sometimes new plugs are what it takes to make it tick.
I used Sta-bil at the end of the season last fall. I got my tires put on and the mechanic said something I forget what is clogged in the carb making the bike run bad below 4k rpm's that it "may" clean out with seafoam but it's not likely.

It won't idle right and stalls all the time off choke. I put a bit of seafoam in like 1/4 can with the tank that was in there. I ran that through and just filled it up with fresh gas and gave it a good dose of seafaom (1/2 can).

I am going riding tomorrow I guess if I run this tank through and no change I will check the plugs then go to the carbs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've had to remove and clean the slow jets in my carbs twice in the last year. I don't ride much, and there were times that the bike would sit for weeks in the garage. I never had the problem before they started putting Ethanol in the gas. I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that the carbs clog quicker.

The last time, it took just over an hour to pull the carbs, remove and clean the slow jets, and reinstall. I removed the carbs as an assembly to avoid having to rebalance the carbs. On a scale of 1-10 I'd rate it a 3.

Good luck
Mikemo

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mikemo!

I thinking I might just suck it up and let the shop handle it I don't have the time or the patience right now...

I am going to run a few more clean tanks and see what the result is...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts