Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to use a ventura tail pack but since redoing the bike, i don't want the ugly thing on there any more. So I am looking at backpacks. I want one that can hold a helmet and have found a couple. First is the joe rocket blaster backpack, (~$100), there is also the cortech (but doesn't look like it holds much) (~$80) and the icon squad II (~$125) but look crazy, though that might make it more comfy too.

edit: just saw the ogio less drag, says it has a helmet "hood" does that mean it carries a helmet? I like the look of this bag and price to match.

Anyone have any of these and can give some insight into the capacity and how well it holds a helmet (with other stuff if possible)

Cheers

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've got experience with the Fieldsheer Skid Lid Backpack ($66 at NewEnough), and I'd say it's a pretty **** good backpack all around.

I spent 2 weeks in New Zealand on a motorcycle tour last month. This was my carry-on luggage. I had my motorcycle boots, laptop, small waterproof jacket, camera, camcorder and gloves in the main pocket. Book, maps, toiletries and a few small odds and ends went in the other pockets. It actually seems to hold more than the backpack I used all thru high school and college. The helmet strapped on the outside, sometimes with my microfleece jacket stuffed in the helmet. If you tighten the chest and waist straps up pretty tight then even with all that gear it's not uncomfortable. Attaching / reattaching the helmet was pretty easy, too.

While out riding I'd put the backpack in one of the saddlebags since I'm not a huge fan of riding with backpacks, but once I'd get to my destination I'd unpack the bike, take out the backpack and wear it all around town / hiking. Not with the helmet, though.

It also comes with a waterproof cover which I don't think any of the other backpacks come with. Trust me, it works! I rode out to Milford Sound on a heavy rain day (about 15 - 20ft of rain annually). I was soaked to the skin even though all my riding gear is waterproof. My tankbag had a waterproof cover on it and it still got soaked. The backpack was the only thing that stayed dry.

I did have one small problem with it, though. One of the top straps snapped off while walking around an airport. The helmet didn't fall out, thankfully, and I was able to fix it so it still worked. Fieldsheer is replacing it under warranty.

It's not one on your list, but it's the only one I have any experience with, so... :)

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Knox Sixpack here... great backpack, laptop holder, bed roll holder, helmet holder (even comes with a helmet bag), twin chest straps, and best of all, a little pocket on one of the straps to hold your ear plugs.

It genuinely feels like a pack made by a biker for bikers. Would buy again, AAA+++ trader etc etc...

BTW.... If you ever go riding in the Milford Sounds again, take some plastic over clothes... about $25USD from a local chain store... they'll keep out even the worst of rain, something that $500USD 'waterproof' suits fail at time and time again. Can't praise them enough, and I've ridden in some really ****** rain storms.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Whatever you wind up with, don't ever ride with a helmet in a backpack. A now deceased friend of mine was in a wreck with one on his back (his wifes, he was wearing his) and had his back badly broken because of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts