Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 weeks ago i highsided and the bike ended up.on its side still running. I should have check the air box for oil immediatly but.i didnt. A day later bike would die when idling. I opened the airbox to find a puddle of oil. I cleaned box, changed air filter and sparks plugs which were black and smelled like gas. Now the bike backfires and pops on idle and decel. Otherwise it runs great. I was thinking of replacing the.wires. any advice? Maybe carbs got clogged? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not uncommon for some backfiring on decel or on idle after starting when the engine is cold, unless its significant.

But since it seems it wasn't doing that before I would:

- Remove and inspect your new plugs for signs of anything odd or fouling from residue (clean them and reinstall).

- Maybe run some carb cleaner / cumbustion chamber cleaner through the carbs (the type which is added while the bike is running). Sea Foam in the gas might also be good to do.

- Your new plugs and air filter are a good start. Make sure your spark is strong and the caps are securely on the plugs (good contact). Check the connections at your coils too since the bike may have gone down a bit hard after a high side (not very likely to disconnect at the coils, but just in case). Did you go with the recommended OEM plugs or others?

- I'm sure you already checked, but just in case, don't forget to check your oil level and visually inspect for any contaminants now and then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check wire connections and oil level last night. Ran some fuel system cleaner through it. Bike broke down on the freeway his morning. It was kinda fun coasting down the off ramp and around turns to a gas station. Bike is in the shop. Ill update with diagnosis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts