Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wondering if maybe I should be wearing a back protector in additon to my jacket. Jacket is Teknic Chicane with "armor" which is really a 1/2" piece of foam. Currently I do not ride Track just spirited runs on the weekends and commuting M-F.

Cast a vote and add yo thoughts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I put "just jacket" which is how I ride most of the time, but I have been wearing a back protector this season when I am out for a day of sport riding. I truly believe it helped me out in a crash in May as I slid on my back across the road with no damage to me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's really up to you. The more protection the better and protecting the spinal cord is of course very important. My leather jacket has good support so I don't have a seperate back support but in your case I would recommend it. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I voted jacket cause I don't have a back protector yet, but I'm leaning that way what with more spirited rides up the canyons and track days.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I started wearing a back protector this year. I took the "armor" out of my jackets and just use the back protector.  To be honest, it doesn't bother me in the slightest and is actually comfortable.  The peace of mind is noticable too.  

·
Registered
703 Posts
I use a protector with my jacket. The "depth to spine", if you will, is essentially non existent so I'm just not that comfortable going out with out the protector for some extra assurance. You wear a helmet to protect your brain why should your spine be any different?

Damn CNS! Why did we have to evolve with it so close to the surface? :-\

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
I've seen a few riders with just a back protector on. Wise riders I must say.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
For fun rides I'd put it on, commuting no, just the foam that comes in the jacket.

·
Registered
551 Posts
just the jacket for me...the back protector is to awkward

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I will use my back protector if I am riding hard enough on the street to wear my full leathers. I have a back protector for tha track and took that useless piece of foam out of the track suit, so if its its leathers, its also the back protector.

Some jackets come with good back protection. I couldn't tell ya which model or make, but DonnieJ has one that has the back protector built in to it, on the outside. pretty cool I must say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ask yourself this question-"what will my life be like if I have a debilitatiing spinal injury and maybe I could have taken one simple extra step and prevented paralysis?"

one of my best friends ended up a quadrapalegic after owning his first sreet bike for less than six months.....he grew up on dirt and was a very very good rider........I always try to think him whenever I get ready to ride and I have several spinal protectors for different purposes.......

essentially, it seems like something that you never want to say "what if" after something bad happens.......chances might be, nothing bad will happen, but is it worth the risk when quality protection is less than $300?

food for thought

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
slydrite said:
one of my best friends ended up a quadriplegic after owning his first street bike for less than six monthsI get ready to ride and I have several spinal protectors for different purposes.......
Damn bunch of safety conscious riders :mad: j/k . I'm leaning toward giving the back protector a shot. I've already been convinced to get pants. And I thought I was already well equipped with helmet/jacket/gloves/boots. Oh, well guess I'll have to force myself to buy new gear ;D

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
NOsquid said:
For fun rides I'd put it on, commuting no, just the foam that comes in the jacket.
same here. just going riding to work, i leave it home. but for spirited rides i bring mine. much like slave said, it doesn't get in the way and the piece of mind lets you push a bit more

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
GMslave said:
I started wearing a back protector this year. I took the "armor" out of my jackets and just use the back protector.  To be honest, it doesn't bother me in the slightest and is actually comfortable.  The peace of mind is noticable too.  
+1 recently, actually when i washed my jacket and went for a ride before putting the shoulder pads and elbow pads in, the jacket is so much more comfortable. I have the foam back protector in there but what i really want is one of those armor vests that way any thick jacket i have can be a riding jacket.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I bought a back protector for track days, but now always wear it on the street. I decided my spine was the second most important part of me needing protection, and it was even more important on the street (no run-off, hard objects, crazy cars) than on the track. I don't notice it riding, and not wearing it now feels like going without a helmet.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My Fieldsheer Mach 2 has a decent back protector. It's hard, CE approved armor. Plus the majority of my rides I also have a backpack filled with stuff. Whether that makes back protection better or worse, I don't want to find out. ;)

H

·
0 Posts
I always use a back protector, but just one of the cheaper CE approved ones. I have a couple fieldsheers that came with one, and added an A* CE one to my A* jacket for ~$25. It stays in the jacket so it's convenient and comfortable, and affords some protection - although not as much as an armored Bohn, etc. I would actually recommend one more for street riding than I would for track. Track you have lots of runoff with few obstacles, whereas street theres all sorts of crap to run into after a getoff...light poles, guard rails, trees, fire hydrants, shopping carts, road signs, etc. If you have the $ I'd recommend and armored one, if not there are decent models available for cheap that are better than nothing...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts