Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY I'm back on a bike again...and with another SV :rock:

My first 2-wheeled motorbike was an '89 Yamaha Riva 125 scooter that I bought for my wife to ride to work back in '07 -- but I ended up doing 99% of the riding, mostly to the Redbox. Kept it for a lot longer than I planned since it was so fun and easy to ride, but finally sold it this year to make room for something that could go on the hwy. Except for my bedliner paint job to cover the evidence of being downed by a PO, the scoot was all stock with only 3500 miles when I sold it, and ran like a champ.

My first real motorcycle was an '01 SV650 naked that I bought in '09. It was a salvaged bike when I bought it and I learned a lot about the SV from SVR, which is why I'm back! It was originally a red SV, and had a '90 GSXR adjustable front-end put on when it was rebuilt, a Fox remote res rear shock setup, I put on a Delkevic shorty, and it had a couple other goodies besides the savage bedliner paint job I gave it. Rode that bike for around 20k before I got in an accident a month before my wedding and put my clutch hand through a taillight trying to avoid becoming the meat in a cager sandwich - that was a fun day.... Needless to say, the wife wasn't too happy and she made me sell it before I could fix it -- still pissed about having to sell it! But you know what they say "happy wife, happy life". Here it is early in the season with the windscreen on:

3rd bike I rode around for a while was my buddy's '03 SV650 naked, after having only 4wheels for a year. After I got my SV, he followed suit and we found him the '03. His is all stock except for a Delkevic. He moved away from the area last year and loaned it to me for a couple months until he could find space to store it while they were in housing transition. After he took it away I was again bikeless and had to go on the hunt for a replacement bike.

A couple months ago I was craving to buy a bike again after not owning one for almost 2yrs, so started scouring CraigsList and forum classifieds for some local bikes. I ideally wanted to pick up a used WeeStrom, because it think it's the best bike for the type of riding I do, but couldn't find a single one for sale in my price range for months of looking! I was also looking at classic UJM bikes from the 70s/80s after getting hooked on cafe bikes when I rode a friend's '10 Thruxton that's all done up with aftermarket farkles. I was pretty much convinced on naked cafe bikes for their "cool factor" and I almost went and bought a sweet '78 XS650 that was all done up, but decided against it at the last minute since it makes more sense to buy a newer bike in this economy - and I'd rather ride than wrench! Good thing I didn't buy that bike because later that same day I cancelled the appt to look at the XS, I ended up hearing back from the owner of an SV that I had initially contacted over 2 weeks previous. I though the SV was long-gone because it was probably one of the best deals I'd seen in months of searching for bikes -- so it must have been fate to get me back on an SV and I'm now glad to say I'm the owner of a sweet '06 SV650s that has less than 3500 miles on it! I ended up paying $3700 for it, but I think that's a hell of a deal for a CA bike with so little miles on it, especially compared to everything I saw for sale in the past 6 months -- it's just so clean and basically a new bike that I can almost eat off of! And still has a month left on the warranty! How could I pass that up?!

Bike is all-stock except for Helibars. Coming soon will be fender eliminator, low-profile turn signals, T-Rex sliders I've had sitting in garage for 2yrs, and some sort of exhaust probably a Delkevic tri-oval, thinking of a touring windscreen and maybe some full fairings if I can find a deal. Then I'm just gonna ride the thing and put a lot of commuting miles on it, while trying to keep it around for a couple more years until I can afford a new bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is currently a full set of 06 Blue fairings in the for sale section. You should get on those! and welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!

Already contacted eddiec168 regarding the fairings :) Anyone think I'll have any issues with the little section being cut off? Looks like it was one of the lower mounting points.

·
Registered
134 Posts
nice bike i have the same one...i think she likes me, i knew she was the one for me before i got to the end of the block.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
it was a center stand. i used it all the time, it was awesome! thinking of adding one to current SV.
Today I had a Motech center stand, purchased from Twisted Throttle, installed on my 2007 SV 650. The stand cost a little over $200 and it took the Suzuki dealer 2.5 hours to instal it, so the installation cost more than the center stand.

In another post on this site (I can't find it), someone said that getting the bike onto the center stand was exceedingly difficult; it is. I cannot begin to do it without using a ramp I made to make it possible. Getting the ramp right took a bit of experimenting. I ended up making it from a 2 x 4 (note that a 2 x 4 isn't really 2 x 4). The total length of the ramp is about 9.5", but the sloped part is only about 2.75". The rest of the top of the ramp is flat and the width is the width of a standard 2 x 4. It makes it easy to get the bike onto the center stand. Although the dimensions are not critical, I would not recommend greatly changing them.

Of course the ramp could be made smaller to make it more convenient to carry, but making it smaller makes it much more difficult and less safe to use. If the ramp is narrower, then much more care must be taken to center it under the tire else it is likely to pop out sidewise. If it is shorter, then it is difficult to keep the bike from rolling off of the back. It would be even easier to get the bike on the center stand if the ramp were higher, but then it could be impossible to remove the ramp from under the tire.

To use the ramp it works best to center it perfectly behind the tire then roll the bike forward a few inches. Then, vigorously roll the bike backward, stopping it after it mounts the ramp. The extra length of the ramp makes that easy to do because the bike doesn't have to be stopped with precision; there is sufficient leeway. The sidestand will still work with the bike on the ramp.

Once the bike is on the ramp, then it can be put onto the center stand in the usual manner and the ramp removed.

No doubt others could figure this out for themselves, but I'm hoping that this will make it easier and eliminate the need for experimentation. If there is a better place to post this, feel free to do so.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it definitely took some getting used to when putting the bike on the side stand. it was my first bike but i had always though it was possibly too far forward and took too much weight, which is why it was hard to pop up. compared to the scooter which also had a center stand, the scooter took about 1/10 the effort and i could pretty much put it on the side stand with just pressure on the footpeg for the stand without pulling on the bike.

for the SV, i had to grab the left grip of the handlebars as well as the rear grab bar, plant my foot on the foot pedal for the stand -- then simultaneously push the pedal down, pull back on the handlebars, and kinda lift up on the rear grab bar. it was very scary the first time doing it, but i remembered it was triangulating the weight distribution (front tire + 2 legs) and it'd be hard to drop the bike unless I let go. getting it off the stand was easy and I always sat on the bike and rocked it forward.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
don't really care. she knew i was pissed when she made me sell the old one, and knew that i would buy another. she never rode her scooter, so i told her i would someday sell it and replace with something that I can use for commuting. she likes the bike though - she's just happy that this one is a clean title and hasn't been down ever; she also likes the blue :confused5:

i don't ride the bike for fun, though it IS more fun. its more practical since i'm saving on gas as well as my stress is WAY lower by not having to sit in traffic every day since my commute is 60 miles/day freeway going WITH crappy congested traffic that's headed to/from the Bay.

i've only put around 500 miles on the bike so far since it's been so hot, but been riding it the past week or so and i like it a lot. still getting used to the new riding position even though there's helibars on the bike. thought of doing a handlebar conversion, but i think i'll wait a bit longer and see if i need it once my core strength is better ;) since i commute so much, i'd still rather have a wee-strom, but i couldnt pass up the low-miles SV for the price. maybe i'll keep this one for a year or two and break it in, then look for a wee.

need to do some maintenance on the bike though - rear brake needs to be bled, i think there's air in the line and keeping MC from grabbing. also need to buy a new multimeter to test charging system -- couple weeks ago rode it to work on a 100+ day and battery was dead when I wanted to head home. dunno what's up with that since my meter died on me, but until then i've got it on the trickle regularly.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
don't really care. she knew i was pissed when she made me sell the old one, and knew that i would buy another. she never rode her scooter, so i told her i would someday sell it and replace with something that I can use for commuting. she likes the bike though - she's just happy that this one is a clean title and hasn't been down ever; she also likes the blue :confused5:

i don't ride the bike for fun, though it IS more fun. its more practical since i'm saving on gas as well as my stress is WAY lower by not having to sit in traffic every day since my commute is 60 miles/day freeway going WITH crappy congested traffic that's headed to/from the Bay.

i've only put around 500 miles on the bike so far since it's been so hot, but been riding it the past week or so and i like it a lot. still getting used to the new riding position even though there's helibars on the bike. thought of doing a handlebar conversion, but i think i'll wait a bit longer and see if i need it once my core strength is better ;) since i commute so much, i'd still rather have a wee-strom, but i couldnt pass up the low-miles SV for the price. maybe i'll keep this one for a year or two and break it in, then look for a wee.

need to do some maintenance on the bike though - rear brake needs to be bled, i think there's air in the line and keeping MC from grabbing. also need to buy a new multimeter to test charging system -- couple weeks ago rode it to work on a 100+ day and battery was dead when I wanted to head home. dunno what's up with that since my meter died on me, but until then i've got it on the trickle regularly.
Do a google search on "motorcycle ice cooling vest."

You can get a vest that is cooled by tubing through ice water is pumped from a backpack containing an electric pump, or you can get a vest that you soak in water before putting it on; it cools by evaporation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts