Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow... really briefly, I got a chance to tour 5 hours (one way) of the Sequoia National Forest.

The ride, especially in one section by the Kings river was absolutely amazing. It's funny because when I got home I had to look it up and it turned out to be highway 49. That section is known as the "Little Dragon". I wasn't surprised. :)

Dang I wish I had a GoPro!

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts
Son of a gun! When we drove that road a few months ago, wife and I kept talking about how cool it would be to ride the bikes over there.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. :)

Got some off road action in too. Never done that on an sv but for the most part it actually worked.

In the twisties ... the roads were mostly 2nd and 3rd gear work. I was very surprised at how little I had to use the brakes. I could smell brakes frying whenever I came up on or rode by a car, but the bike was flawless. Just fantastic.
I even used the rear brake for once, although not when going steeply downhill for obvious reasons.

Lets see, what else... I remember thinking that the gears were really well chosen for the bike. They really work well in the mountains, and as far as I know most racers use them so Suzuki must have done it right.

It's funny because I realized as I started up the first steep incline that I was concerned about the bike not having the power for this... the thing is that in the past I've had really gutless cars (Kia sportage, Geo metro, etc...) and from experiences with those I have lingering anxiety about not having the juice to get up the hill. Anyway, as you may have guessed (and of course on an intellectual level I knew all along) the little sv had way more than enough to charge anything I threw at it, and as mentioned, included dirt roads that were fairly steep!

The only bad moments were once when I came to a stop on the side of a hill and *almost* dropped the bike. A stiff wind or a gallon of gas probably would have made the difference, but I was able to muscle it back up.

Then later, I was following my sister in laws friend and when she realized she was going to miss her turn she stood on her brakes. Thank God I had enough distance and time to react and shoot around/by her instead of slamming into the rear end of her car. Coulda ended my weekend quick, but everything worked out.

Man... the more I ride the more I love it and the more I know that I'll never be able to stop. Yep. It's in my blood. ;)

My bike in the redwoods:

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
That's it? only one picture? C'mon Striga you can do better!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Thanks. :)

Got some off road action in too. Never done that on an sv but for the most part it actually worked.

In the twisties ... the roads were mostly 2nd and 3rd gear work. I was very surprised at how little I had to use the brakes. I could smell brakes frying whenever I came up on or rode by a car, but the bike was flawless. Just fantastic.
I even used the rear brake for once, although not when going steeply downhill for obvious reasons.

Lets see, what else... I remember thinking that the gears were really well chosen for the bike. They really work well in the mountains, and as far as I know most racers use them so Suzuki must have done it right.

It's funny because I realized as I started up the first steep incline that I was concerned about the bike not having the power for this... the thing is that in the past I've had really gutless cars (Kia sportage, Geo metro, etc...) and from experiences with those I have lingering anxiety about not having the juice to get up the hill. Anyway, as you may have guessed (and of course on an intellectual level I knew all along) the little sv had way more than enough to charge anything I threw at it, and as mentioned, included dirt roads that were fairly steep!

The only bad moments were once when I came to a stop on the side of a hill and *almost* dropped the bike. A stiff wind or a gallon of gas probably would have made the difference, but I was able to muscle it back up.

Then later, I was following my sister in laws friend and when she realized she was going to miss her turn she stood on her brakes. Thank God I had enough distance and time to react and shoot around/by her instead of slamming into the rear end of her car. Coulda ended my weekend quick, but everything worked out.

Man... the more I ride the more I love it and the more I know that I'll never be able to stop. Yep. It's in my blood. ;)

My bike in the redwoods:

You need to learn to trust your brakes more. Unless your SIL drives a supercar costing 6 figures or you were not paying attention there is no way that she could outbrake you, more likely, your stopping distance would be aout half of what hers is.

Sounds like a fun trip, that's one of the few national parks that I have not yet seen, I will have to rectify that as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You need to learn to trust your brakes more. Unless your SIL drives a supercar costing 6 figures or you were not paying attention there is no way that she could outbrake you, more likely, your stopping distance would be aout half of what hers is.

Sounds like a fun trip, that's one of the few national parks that I have not yet seen, I will have to rectify that as soon as possible.
You're probably right. I really should have been further back to begin with but I wasn't expecting that. Of course that's the whole point of distance, but I'm sure I had more than the typical rider.

As for the park, I promise you won't be let down! Oh as a side my wife (driving the minivan) had to stop in the middle of the road at one point for an enormous bear. :) it sat there grunting and flapping its mouth for about 8 minutes then got up and walked up the side of the mountain. It was about 15' from my wife and about 1/4 mile from our tent. Brilliant!

Pics? Sorry folks I was way too busy dragging knees (okay maybe not but it felt like it!) to get pics. :p

I liked the plasti-dip. It's was sweet to take it off and have that purdy blue again though. Obviously I left it on the fender. I may remove it but I kinda like it black.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
You need to buy a gopro then... :)

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
i don't think so. The mass is only a small factor in braking distance, and even less so because the less mass, the less friction is available to the tire. I'd say from 60mph, the difference would be something like 115ft for an sv VS. 130ft for a car

Add to that reaction time, and the ABS in cars which allows the cager to just mash on the brake pedal to the floor, vs the need to progressively squeeze the lever, to load the suspension and the sv is on almost on the same lever as an average car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts