Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy SV Crew!
I splashed my 2006 SV last May.. nothing serious, thank the good Lord... just a WASH on a 35-mph left-hander on a tight forest road.
Plant Infrastructure Tree Road surface Asphalt

It was sudden and without warning, the Front just TUCKED... I slid about 15 feet into a leaf-filled ditch (once again, THANKS, God!).. I was wearing a track suit and just got banged-up and rashed a little on one knee... rode the bike home 20 miles with plastic flapping.

Wheel Tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I had another bike running well, (the Bandit 1216)... and in June bought a cherry 2008 FJR... so there was no real hurry. Eventually I replaced the nose fairing, headlight, mirror.. signal.. and restored the left side panel (sanded/painted).. and the SV came back to life in the early Fall.

But I had plenty of time to think about... WHY? Wha happumed?
Final Jeopardy Answers:
1) What is...Bridgestone BT-023 tires too old?
Feeling cash-strapped, I'd bought a pair of these guys off Fleabay for a cheap price, NEW, but when I got them I found the date code was 2017... three years old when I mounted them. HMMM. Then I proceeded to wear 'em down... I think I may have had 3000-3500 miles on them when the front let go.
2) What is.. Front Preload too soft?
A month after restoring the bike I looked at it one day and thought, Gee.. isn't it a little SOFT in the front?..so turned the Preload up a full spin.
Whoa! A vast improvement, across the board. Some of you might recall I've had light, quirky handling issues with this bike for the 7-8 years I've owned it; well tightening the Preload gave me a great improvement (I'd THOUGHT the sag was correct before... it wanted LESS). Now the bike feels far more steady and trustworthy. (I still believe the bike has aerodynamic issues on the highway- a slow, soft wobble when passing a Semi).
3) What is... I likely chopped the throttle going into the corner?
Those big pistons chugging up and down... fuel-injected.. a sudden CUT in fuel and suddenly a lot of weight LAUNCHES onto the front..

... and there you have the formula for a proper OOPSIE-DAISY.

Back up and doing fine now...
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Motorcycle

Having three large bikes, one dirtbike project, and all my tools stuffed in one-half of a two-car garage, (my lndlord's).. I keep considering REDUCING MY BIKE LOAD.. But... how to decide THAT? I love all three equally!

Wheel Fuel tank Tire Automotive parking light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
826 Posts
Glad to hear you've got her back into shape. Nice stable!

·
Registered
21 Posts
in the first picture of the road, it looks like there are some wet patches that haven't fully dried out yet, and then where the yellow arrow is pointing, a particularly tree-shaded part of the road. conditions like this will tend to give inconsistent traction; great on the sunny/dry areas of road, poor on the wet/damp patches of road. If the entire road were damp, you probably wouldn't have been pushing the limits as hard..

A tire from 2017 wouldn't necessarily be the culprit, but, if the tires weren't fully warmed up and you hit that cold / damp part of the pavement coming into the corner a bit too fast, the critical traction that was needed to oppose your lean angle may have decreased just long enough to send you over. that's my analysis from the limited information available.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2) What is.. Front Preload too soft?
A month after restoring the bike I looked at it one day and thought, Gee.. isn't it a little SOFT in the front?..so turned the Preload up a full spin.
Whoa! A vast improvement, across the board. Some of you might recall I've had light, quirky handling issues with this bike for the 7-8 years I've owned it; well tightening the Preload gave me a great improvement (I'd THOUGHT the sag was correct before... it wanted LESS). Now the bike feels far more steady and trustworthy. (I still believe the bike has aerodynamic issues on the highway- a slow, soft wobble when passing a Semi).
Also, adjusting the pre-load doesn't affect spring-rate; it mainly affects ride height, which can change the steering geometry. Operating at the lower-end of the pre-load settings can cause the bike to bottom out faster, and the upper-end might feel softer on sharp-edged bumps since you'll have a bit more travel, but pre-load settings don't really affect the softness or hardness of the suspension.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts