Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after 2 long years of **** happens. I took my wheels in to get a new pair of 2ct tires mounted (yeah I know I am running late). Something shiny in the showroom caught my eye, but I was in a hurry. Got the tires home, and a new battery and took the sv for a ride in my niehborhood because when I renewed my license last December the DMV failed to transfer my motorcycle license along with the class c. Lucky me - I will get to waste another day at the DMV, and pay some extra money (when they make mistakes it makes DMV more money-go figure). So that shiny thing I seen in the showroom starts working on my brain, and I start to rationalize an purchase. Yeah this is my 50th year of motorcycling. Yeah I have never owned a new bike. Yeah I have worked hard and deserve a new bike. Soo I went back to the dealership and made them a cash offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on your new purchase! I test rode this once and the initial impression is wow!The brakes has so much initial bite to it that you can literally flip yourself over if you hamfisted the brakes. That is how I figured out what 1 finger braking is all about. Shifting feels sooo smooth as though I did not shift as the gears just slots in effortlessly. Awesome bike!!

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brakes are very impressive, not used to them yet. Wife walked into the garage looked at the bike and said whats that! She thought the bike was a selfish purchase that only I could enjoy, until I reminded here about how much jewelry she has that only she enjoys. She shut up after that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well you certainly made the popular choice for upgrading the SV. I bet you will really love that bike. I would love if the SV had amazing brakes! I just keep replacing my pads and fluid when I feel the bite fade away :repost:

·
Registered
476 Posts
brakes are very impressive, not used to them yet. Wife walked into the garage looked at the bike and said whats that! She thought the bike was a selfish purchase that only I could enjoy, until I reminded here about how much jewelry she has that only she enjoys. She shut up after that.
:worship::lmao:

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
keeping the SV after all I just got new tires, a lith. ion battery to replace the dead one. New tires were mounted on black wheels with galfer wave rotors, that I nabbed from a couple of members here a couple of years ago before the sh*t hit the fan. Two different bikes entirely, but I think the SV would beat it if tight and twisty due to the power at low end. SV is a more relaxed ride around town.

·
Premium Member
4,347 Posts
You think you can ride a Street Triple at your age??

Asking as I keep thinking an upgrade isn't worth it at my age. I've been riding for 43 years but started late..

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just as light as my sv, with handling that is extremely similar to the sv, I am not getting any younger. Can I ride it to 90% of its capabilities IDK yet, but I am only 60 years old.

·
Premium Member
4,347 Posts
but I am only 60 years old.
Kids today! :bruce:*

*I was already in my 50's when I got my first SV, so my age has been a standing joke here from day one. (And I will be hitting the local Triumph dealer tomorrow) (Just Saying)

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take a look bab's, take a ride. If you can find a great one pre-owned, definitely consider it. The break in period for the new ones absolutely sucks, what do I mean, my tach goes yellow at more than 63 mph in 6th 5000 rpm till 300 miles, 6000 rpm till 600 miles, 7000 rpms till 800 miles, 8000 rpm only after 1000 miles. This is for a 12,800 rpm engine.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Take a look bab's, take a ride. If you can find a great one pre-owned, definitely consider it. The break in period for the new ones absolutely sucks, what do I mean, my tach goes yellow at more than 63 mph in 6th 5000 rpm till 300 miles, 6000 rpm till 600 miles, 7000 rpms till 800 miles, 8000 rpm only after 1000 miles. This is for a 12,800 rpm engine.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Get it up to operating temperature, then redline it in the lower gears, chop the throttle and let it wind down to 2 or 3000 rpm and repeat. Do it 8 or 10 times and change the oil, then ride it as if it were broken in, because it will be.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Went back to the dealership Saturday for a common part for the SV650, new bike sales lady snagged me, I told her I just bought a 19 white striple RS she said, oh I have an 18 white striple R low and love it. Of course she wanted a picture of the two bikes side by side, being beautiful and a rider I agreed without any arm twisting. During the course of the conversation, she asked what did you ride before, I said sv650, and she whipped out her phone and showed me a pic of her sv650 that she still owns since she bought it new in 2000, showed her mine. Talked about a half hour before the term husband came up, dang.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts