Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of the Aztec 8 headlight brackets recently, for the SV. Specifically, I bought the fork tube clamps, side brackets, and LED signals, for use with a Buell headlight.

I haven't used any other products for this, so I don't have much to compare to, but I can say that the brackets seem to work well, look good, and (once properly fitted) I have no complaints.

But that's the end. The start and middle are the more interesting parts.

The start. Well, my SV is a 'retired' track bike, that I'm putting back to "street legal" status. It will probably get back onto the track as well, but I'd like to see it pull double duty. To that end, all the lights that had been taken off, needed to be put back on. Just one challenge... the front-end isn't stock. In fact, it's not even a Suzuki front-end. It's a full swap from an R1, including upper tripple. (And, in case you're wondering, the ignition could be from Radio Shack.) In short, using any stock SV or GSXR parts were pretty much out.

Rather than custom-fabbing some brackets, I decided to go with the Aztec8 pieces. As I said, they look nice (in person), and make life simple. Now here's where you should pay attention.

Don't rely on the fork tube chart!!!

No, really. I know they say it on their website, but I thought it wouldn't be an issue. My mistake. The chart says my forks are 50mm. Well, they are, where the clip-on's attach. But anywhere south of that, is at least 52mm. In fact, directly under the clip-on's is 52mm. Where the brackets finally went? A touch under 54mm.

Aztec8 demonstrated really excellent customer service, in working with me to get the right brackets, and I absolutely appreciate their help. I spoke with several people, both by phone and e-mail, including Scott.. (thanks Scott!) Customer service is really what helps justify the cost of a product, and in this case, they did just that.

Unfortunately, part of my difficulty was something that blindsided me, and I really feel they should make clear (as I noted to them). Between the 50's and 54's, were the 52's... now these should be 52mm ID (inner diameter), right? Well.... no. Measuring with a digital caliper, I came up with about 51.5mm across the molded sides, and just about 52mm between the split edges. So, they're more an "oval" than full circle. If someone has oval forks, that'll be great... I asked Scott about this, and he said that the shape and bolt/screw arrangement is to aid in fitting the tubes. That does make sense, but I wish I'd known that when ordering!

My 54mm brackets? Well, rather than being a '54 snug', they're more a '54 regular'. I don't know if this varies between the molds for a single size, or if it just varies with size, but be forewarned. My personal opinion is that you can always make it tighter (e.g. some paper as a shim).

The mini-LED blinkers are very short stalks. I'm neutral on this. They're bright enough, only concern is a fix-it ticket, as I assume I'm more likely to be pulled over because of the small size combined with short shaft. I didn't open them up, but they don't appear to have resistors built in; combined with incandescent blinkers in the rear, this gives rapid-blink syndrome. I'll be wiring in some resistors.

The Buell light fit up great to the brackets, and my only problem here, was the Buell light itself. In the "correct" orientation, there's some plastic molding that hits the bracket, and prevents it from tilting down far enough for aiming. By flipping it upside down, there's plenty of clearance, no grinding required. If it'll see rain, it should be installed in the "correct" orientation, but with the wiring on this bike, I'm not planning on that anytime soon.

Final verdict? If you think you'd rather fab your own brackets, you're probably right. But if that doesn't appeal to you, be it time, satisfaction, etc., the Aztec8 product will definitely fit the bill. I'd like to see a lower cost, but I don't see this happening without higher volume. But, as I said, they definitely deliver on Customer Service, which is a significant part of what is being paid for.

Doing it again, I'd go with the Aztec8 clamps and brackets, and Buell headlight (it's bright!), but I'd measure twice, use a zip-tie to eye-ball headlight placement, etc.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Macker, you have pics of this set up? Did you choose the Buell dual set up bc it was brighter than Aztec 8's dual set up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take some pics and post them next week.

For me, choosing the Buell headlight was cost first, availability second, light output third, and DOT compliance fourth. (I don't know if Aztec 8's headlight is DOT compliant. Then again, my front LED blinkers are definitely not.) $178 for Aztec 8's dual 5 1/4" headlights, vs. ~$70 (now $92.80 from Surdyke) for the Buell piece. As a side note, Aztec 8 does offer a single 7" for $108.

The Buell headlight can have a windscreen added, if I choose (which I probably will). While I think the ~$100 cost is outrageous (for a molded plastic/fiberglass windscreen and a bracket), it's comparable to the $98 Aztec 8 charges for a 4" dual headlight windscreen - with no 5 3/4" option.

Main thing I liked about the Aztec 8 piece, is "Both Headlights work at the same time, both lights are on when you run your high beams or low beams." The Buell is likely to result in "hey, you've got a light out!" gestures/comments from helpful motorists... and I really just prefer the idea of both lights being illuminated.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
where are the pics!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
lockhart phillips makes a flash relay for 12.00. You can find it around, just do a google search. Works a lot better than resistors. If you install any other LED bits on your bike you won't have to worry about it. There is a thread around here that shows how to install. I am think about doing doing the buell headlight, I can get one at the Harley dealership near my house for 90.00. How come you didn't use the stock headlight brackets? I heard those work also with the buell lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same setup on my 2001 SV650S, the Aztec 8 worked OK. I supported the bottom of the headlight with a homemade bracket bolted to the bottom of the triple clamp where the break-line attached. sold as a rock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
two thumbs up for the Aztec customer service. I bought my brackets from them a couple years ago. Shipped fast and good prices on other parts as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts