Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

2581 - 2600 of 3132 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,581
nice work Mike. for the temp issue you might want to check the radiator for proper flow, as I'm assuming the rebuilt engine came with it's own thermostat and water pump. also obvious that the gauge has some problem. could be as Jeff said the temp sensor.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The rebuilt engine does include a different water pump and Engine Coolant Temp sensor. I have to tear back into it a little and check the wiring for the temp sensor cause it failed the resistance check per the maintenance manual. Also need to look at the cooling fan thermo switch and check the fuse for the fan. I think it is an electrical issue.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
No problem Larry. Have fun. This will be good experience for me to finish the work myself so thanks to Eric, and John, and Pat, and Larry, and Jeff for all the help and I will post up next weekend with progress, maybe even do a rebuild thread.

Had a good ride this weekend in the white mountains. Justin and I hit 191 and went up against swarms of bugs, fire, and a dreaded motorcycle rally, and the even more feared BMW car club, but came away with some fun riding and no problems. Already talking about a 3rd trip to 191 soon.
Had a great time, however Mike had to listen to me complain about half way through. After not riding for so long I guess I had a 200 mile limit (Physically). I was hurting before getting to Morenci. We made the whole trip and I'm glad we did the whole run, but I had a nasty knot in my back for a little over a week, actually it's just now feeling better.

I'm looking forward to the next ride. I plan on not riding as much non-stop. I really need a softer seat and some sort of throttle assist. Anyway, if anyone would like to join we plan on hitting up some fun local roads and possibly a run to Hannagan Meadow.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,587
Have fun and be safe.
I was safe enough, but not much fun.

thanks again Pat for the rescue. I may need to borrow that pressure tester next weekend, or whenever. after pulling the fuel line I got some flow out of the tank, but it looked pretty weak. maybe just a clogged filter, but I'm thinking the pump died.

compression was good enough to darn near blow my thumb off- (I know, nice gauge), and spark was strong and bright blue. plug was bone dry after some cranking and I stuck my face into the airbox and couldn't smell anything in the throttle bodies.

one thing I didn't do was pull the fuel hose completely off to check if it's plugged. i'll check that tomorrow. it looks good on the outside, could it be breaking up inside?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I know I don't know anyone in the Phoenix area but I'm coming out for a few days on Monday, tomorrow. Wanted to check out the Arizona Motorsports park and whatever else you may recommend. There doesn't seem to be any track days but that's ok.

It's gonna be friggin HOT!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I know I don't know anyone in the Phoenix area but I'm coming out for a few days on Monday, tomorrow. Wanted to check out the Arizona Motorsports park and whatever else you may recommend. There doesn't seem to be any track days but that's ok.

It's gonna be friggin HOT!

Not much out there this time of year except hot asphalt!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Larry/ I will check my gauges and see if I have one for fuel injection. I know o have 2 for carbs, low pressure, just not sure if I bought one for high pressure. If I don't have one, I would place a wager that O'Reily will rent one to you.

I'm glad I was able to pick you up, a few minutes later and I would have been in toys r us. You would have waited a while longer had that happened. :D

Welcome back john!

Jskateboarders, I know a few of the Tucson people go down to that course, as do a few of the supermoto folks on southwestrides.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Not much out there this time of year except hot asphalt!
Ya, very rarely gets that hot here in the northeast. Read the track is closed for the summer. I still may go just to check it out. Looks like on the tracks calendar that it is reserved for a private event. Didn't know if any of you knew what event was there.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,594
Pat, thanks. I'm pretty sure o'reilly has a fuel pressure tester in the loaner tool section, but don't know if it will have the right adapter to hook up to motorcycles. i'll check today.

also took the fuel line completely off and blew through it, no restriction there. fuel drips out of the tank at a steady rate, but not much pressure, about as much as would flow out of a gravity fed system with the petcock open, or maybe less.

have good power to the relay, makes my 12v test light glow bright, but at the connection for the pump it glows very weak. should the pump be getting less than 12v? I don't have a multi meter, but the weak light obviously indicates less than 12v there.

I posted a thread in the main section, and so far others have suggested a plugged filter, which is reasonable given the mileage on the bike.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,596
That's much more likely than a bad pump. Suzuki's HP filter design is terrible, I'd recommend bypassing it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
how would I go about bypassing the filter? isn't it attached as part of the pump assembly?

the pressure tester at our store has adapters for the fuel rails on cars, didn't see anything in the kit that looked like it would work for the bike.
anyway, I drained the tank and poured in a gallon of gas from shell, cranked till the battery got weak and no dice. (that battery cranked a lot too- I didn't think it would go as long as it did.)
looks like I'm going to have a fuel tank/pump pulling party this weekend, for anybody who wants to come by.
also, if anybody has an extra fuel pump hanging around for a test part I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,599
Larry, if you want I'll pull off my tank, and you can see if it works.
thanks John, that would help narrow down the problem. I'm convinced it's a fuel pump issue, but that's an expensive part to get wrong.
I plan to pull the tank off Sat. morning after some errands, probably @ 11ish, unless I get some free time earlier in the week, which is doubtful.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Well that sucks Larry. Pat, good on ya for helping out. Larry, when you have the tank off, maybe put a splash of fuel in and swish it around and then turn upside down over a bucket and see if any crap comes out. I dunno

2581 - 2600 of 3132 Posts