Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

2321 - 2340 of 3132 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I've had my Shoei X-12 for almost 4 years now and I was thinking about upgrading to the X-13 (mostly to have something newer)... but the X-12 is still the latest "X" model today. Maybe I'll look into Arai. Don't get me wrong, I love my X-12. It's super light, extremely comfortable, and cool looking... I just think it's time to get a newer helmet and have a backup. Maybe after this season since I'm so strapped for cash with the new house, baby, vacation, and home upgrades.

Think I'll hit up SRC today. :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
Good ride today with Larry and Scott. Weather was perfect and traffic wasn't bad.

For me, it was the first twisty ride since my crash and I started out a little sketchy but got comfortable on the ride back from the lake. I am looking forward to the next ride.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,327
glad to hear your trackdays went well John.

we did have a nice ride today. the road out to Bartlett lake has been resurfaced so there are no more bad bumps. some ripples but no big deal. too bad there was lots of sand on the side road to rattlesnake cove, plus a couple deputies.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It was a fun ride and some pretty good food! Larry, you were right about dropping south on Tom Darlington / Scottsdale Rd. It seemed much quicker getting back to the 101.

So now I'm really thinking bars are the way to go. Anyone know off the top of their head which sets of Renthal or Pro Taper work with stock length naked lines? Maybe save me a few hours of google-fu.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sounds like a great weekend John :rock:
I'm only doing one more trackday before summer hits. I'm all signed up for Chuck on 5/10 :vroom:
Scott
Ever been there before? regardless you'll like it, doing it with So. Cal?

I'll probably do Amp in May for the last one of the season.
Next year I want to do Chuckwalla on consecutive months, twice before December and twice after. Could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Keep hearing rumours that there is going to be a track day at Firebird in May also..

·
Registered
185 Posts
Scott
Ever been there before? regardless you'll like it, doing it with So. Cal?

I'll probably do Amp in May for the last one of the season.
Next year I want to do Chuckwalla on consecutive months, twice before December and twice after. Could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Keep hearing rumours that there is going to be a track day at Firebird in May also..
I went there for the first and only time in December. Great track, I'm excited to go back. Yup, through SoCal.

Firebird eh? Let me know if you hear anything else about that.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
i would be open to going back to firebird if they did some improvements to it. sweep off the dust, patch a few spots on the various tracks, i don't think that's asking for much.

i mean sure they could do lots more, but i think simple fixes would be great.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Here you go:
http://www.desertroadracing.org/home.html

Track day from 8 - 2, then racing.
Very very interesting. checked out the website and looks like they are using the old West track. Good thing about that is that you can get within maybe 10 feet of the track to check it out. The public road runs right along the main straight so anyone can stop by and scope out the entire track to see if they improve it at all. IF they do I will have to go.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Fellas, wanted to say what up and let you know I'm still around! I've been keeping up on the news here but didn't really have a chance to drop a line. Really, really wish I could join you guys on the CO ride. Sounds awesome. Finally done with 2 x family visits, some snowboarding in CO, and some landscaping, so hopefully back in business for awhile.

Wanted to say thanks again for the help with our previous maintenance day way back now. Three track days since then and the bike is running great. That double-header weekend was nice. Not sure I'd do too many more two-dayers though. The combo of the gearing change and the motion pro throttle with 1/5 equivalent reel in it makes for nearly a new riding experience on the SV. I couldn't believe the difference in giddy-up. I thought it would change my shift points around the track but instead just allowed me to drive out better. The brakes, though, are another story.

Brakes worked ok at the Feb day. Lost about 1/2 the lever throughout the day, and about 1/4 of it came back, so certainly a little heat related fade (regular store-brand DOT 4 fluid). It still felt like air was getting in somewhere. Calipers rebuilt and brembo cleaned by Zoran. So before the March weekend I tried for 10 days to get a good bleed with the Brembo m/c to no avail. Just couldn't get a lever. At midnight, friday before the trackday, I said eff it and put the stock m/c back on and paid Adrenaline $25 to bleed it for me at the track. I knew it was my last lap on sunday when I could pull the lever to the bar at the end of the straight. Certainly two good days of riding though. Before the april day I tried new lines, new banjo bolts, and new bleeder screws. Finally discovered that the bleeder nipple on the brembo is not sealing and was bringing in air. This was with a new bleeder screw and you can see where the hat doesn't fit in the seat from the wear marks. I attribute the same fade with the stock m/c to it being 10 years old w/ original seals. Soooo, awesome. How do I get the bleeder screw seat machined on the brembo? I've got my other other spare m/c (stock SV naked) on there and it worked ok last weekend. On the hunt for an R6 fill-in I guess.

Other major issue was dragging the crap outta the lower. So, I just ran this month w/o it!

Now, I'm dealing with a completely blown right fork seal. It was weeping a bit throughout the day, but I kept it clean and used some painter's tape as a bit of an extra temporary seal and made it through the day. I took the last session off and good thing, cause when I got the bike home the seal was completely done. It think we did a good job on them, so disappointed they only lasted about a year (OEM seals). John recommended a guy to fix them so I think I'll drop the forks and just go have them done and be finished.

Nate - sorry man, I didn't get to post up before the March day about where we usually pit. Glad we caught up though and you seemed to be having a good time.

John - thanks for the offer on the generator and warmers, even though I didn't get to use them. I was so so blasted from day 1 of 2 that there was no way I was going to switch to the Pirelli DOTs overnight.

Desert Road Racing!? That sounds totally freaking legit. I was wondering if anyone did something like that with one little race at the end. I dig the West track. East track looks like a dirt hole now. West was usually in nice shape and I like the flow. They don't seem to have too much documentation on there...looks like lightweight for the SV of course and the '03 can even compete as vintage! I also can't believe they are going to run in June (oh, looks like just track day til 2, no racing...might be ok). That May weekend is Memorial weekend so that kinda sucks, too. Going to seriously consider this for the fall though!!

Scott - you missed a good one last weekend! Chuck next month sounds tempting. Probably won't have the fork seals done by then.

April day was solid. Probably looking to hit up the May day and call it a season. Plenty to work on over the summer!

Last weekend:

http://www.racersphoto.com/p969329518/h1572d94#h1572d94

·
Registered
31 Posts
Awesome pic Eric that one is worthy of hanging on the wall next to the family portrait :) , funny thing thats how leaned over I felt when I was at the track. Then I looked @ my photos and I couldn't believe I was so upright still, guess I got to work on that.

Hey guys I'm looking for any suggestions with tuning my carbs. I've read all the stuff on the web about it and I think I'm ready to dive in. I have a full exhaust and was going to desnorkel a stock air filter. Was thinking 150 mains 17.5 pilot turned out 2&1/2 times, Two shims on stock needle with slides drilled out. All that seems like a common starting point. Anyone here in the valley have a setup that works real well?

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Nate i think i have one of the only 1st gens in the valley, they all seem to be back east for some reason. anyway, i fiddled with my carbs for months and eventually gave up. i could not get rid of flat spots, running rich, running lean, hesitation, it was so frustrating. i ended up going and getting it dyno tuned by these guys. came out pretty good, but i spend a lot more than i wanted to.

i gutted the air filter, i think too much, tried various jets, needle positions, turns on the idle circuit, drillied out the slide hole. if you go after it, i hope you have better luck and more patience than i did.

on a positive note, thinking about it now, i can get more power out of the bike for the track by pulling odd the air inlet restricter they made and adding a bigger main jet.....

Eric, it sounds like you have ton going on out west.
did we rebuild those fork seals?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Eric, if your master bleeder is weepy, a wrap or two of Teflon tape will stop it. Or you can buy the speed bleeders sealant from them in a little can. That would last longer than tape. As for the fork seals, don't skimp. Get the Suzuki ones. They'll last longer and you know they'll fit right. They're kind of a pain, but not too bad.

2321 - 2340 of 3132 Posts