Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 3132 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sunday works for me. And whatever time you guys want to meet up.
Any suggestions on places to try on helmets other than Cycle Gear Mesa (had no Scorpions) and Ride Now Chandler (only low end models)?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The helmet center has two locations. One is in all the new shopping areas by lake pleasant pkwy and happy valley. The other is 35th ave and union hills- ish. Very good folks. I avoid ride now like the plague. The cyclegear in surprise has loads of helmets also.

As for the ride, I'm a maybe. Have to see how far I get on chores around the house Saturday.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Srstatz, for east valley shops, Victory BMW has a small selection of high-end helmets. The rideNow place in Chandler had junk. Apache motorcycles might be worth a stop. They are near Power Rd and hwy 60.

John, I am avoiding fixing the BMW right now. If I had a bada$$ racebike sitting in the garage ready to go, I would rush to get back to the track, but having a broke bike makes it easier for now. Plus I am still catching up financially so the $2300 in repairs would be rough right now. Shooting for a June return to the track.

Larry, shell station north of the 101?? Google shows a shell station south of the 101 but I vaguely remember a gas station north of the 101 on Cave creek. Is it still there?? Otherwise sounds like a good place to meet on Sunday. I am good anytime Sunday. You probably know the traffic routine in that area on Sunday so whatever time you suggest is good.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Mike, the gas station Larry is talking about is on the northeast corner here

i am probably out for sunday, you kids be safe and have fun.

as for helmets, the helmet center isnt bad.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
John, I am avoiding fixing the BMW right now. If I had a bada$$ racebike sitting in the garage ready to go, I would rush to get back to the track, but having a broke bike makes it easier for now. Plus I am still catching up financially so the $2300 in repairs would be rough right now. Shooting for a June return to the track.
$2300 Ouch; crashing SV's are much cheaper ;D
June is just too dang hot for me, after this weekend, AMP in May and I'm done.
I'll need the break just to catch up the track bills!

You guys be safe.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Srstatz, for east valley shops, Victory BMW has a small selection of high-end helmets. The rideNow place in Chandler had junk. Apache motorcycles might be worth a stop. They are near Power Rd and hwy 60.

Larry, shell station north of the 101?? Google shows a shell station south of the 101 but I vaguely remember a gas station north of the 101 on Cave creek. Is it still there?? Otherwise sounds like a good place to meet on Sunday. I am good anytime Sunday. You probably know the traffic routine in that area on Sunday so whatever time you suggest is good.
I would try calling different Cycle Gear stores, I'm pretty sure I've seen Scorpion helmets at a CG.

If I wasn't trying to put down 20% on my new home I'd offer to buy the BMW as is. :p

That's funny, I just remembered the last time I met up with Larry to ride Cave Creek. He said meet at the Shell off 101 and I found one just south of the 101 (no more than 100 yards from the highway). He was at the Shell station north of the 101. We were both waiting at different gas stations no more than 1 mile apart.

I think some time this weekend I'm going to try hitting up SRC real quick for my first ride of the season. :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
9 am sounds good.

I remembered that gas station from the old days when I used to stop for gas for the dirt bike before going riding about 2 miles north of there way way back in 2004. Guess Google maps doesn't know about it.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
9 am sounds good.

I remembered that gas station from the old days when I used to stop for gas for the dirt bike before going riding about 2 miles north of there way way back in 2004. Guess Google maps doesn't know about it.
how could they know about it, the whole thing is covered by that giant roof!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll be there by 9.
And I'll check out the Helmet Center tomorrow. If I had the money I'd just get an Arai RX-Q which I'd tried on and it fit wonderful. But for now I need a cheap lid that's not 8 years old and fits my round head.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,314
I ride a naked. no problem with fatigue, but I could stand a few less bugs. there are a variety of windscreens available if you have the need.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to the boards!
Riding without a wind screen really isn't that bad. Most of my fatigue comes from riding position and/or the seat. Others do it just fine, but I don't have the core muscles to keep my weight off the grips for more than an hour at a time.
Beautiful bike btw. Want to trade front ends? ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't imagine how awful it would be at highway+ speeds, especially to do over the shoulder checks. Icon has a few great graphics, but this is a bad design for real riding. It's a motocross design adapted to a street helmet. Still offers more protection than that Bell Rogue helmet...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
That Icon Variant actually has some pretty good reviews over at advrider. Yes, it's a dual sport helmet, but it seems to be ok at mostly legal speeds. As is the Shoei Hornet and the Arai XD4 (I think that's what the Arai is called). Still, I think I'd prefer a regular full face for the street.

2301 - 2320 of 3132 Posts