Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put over 40,000 miles on my 06 650s. After having to cut off my very first castle nut and having to replace the axle due to them cross threading after only 12,000 miles, I read the thread about replacing the axle nut after 4-5 uses. And I have been doing this ever since. At 4 bucks a pop I am getting tired of it.

I noticed holeshot.com sells a heavyduty nut and washer but it covers the holes for the cotter pin. Not sure if its fine without one. Has anyone used this nut? does it work for you?

Or can I just order a 2008 axle nut, which is a locking nut (I think)? Does the nut work on a 2006 axle?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Why do you replace the nut every 4-5 uses? That is a waste. Just reuse it. The threads aren't going to wear out as long as you thread it on properly.

I'm 99% sure there won't be a difference in threads so the newer axle would work. Just know, you are supposed to replace a locking nut everytime it is taken off (not that anyone ever has done that). So you would be in the same place you are now.

Just run your nut you have now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
yea I have taken my rear nut/axle off about 50 times with no problems at all. just start the nut with your fingers not a wrench to avoid cross threading and you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I read the thread about replacing the axle nut after 4-5 uses. And I have been doing this ever since. At 4 bucks a pop I am getting tired of it.
Maybe you got confused about replacing the cotter pin, instead of the nut. I've never replaced the nut or axle. But I will confess to re-using cotter pins (when I was young).

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I noticed holeshot.com sells a heavyduty nut and washer but it covers the holes for the cotter pin. Not sure if its fine without one. Has anyone used this nut? does it work for you?
Not having a cotter pin would be quite dangerous...

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
My '08 never had a cotter pin, just a self-locking nut.

Also, a "heavy-duty' nut might result in stripping the threads on the axle. Those aren't $4 a pop!

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
with 72 ft.lbs. i don't think it's going anywhere, but i use a cotter pin anyway. they are pretty cheap, and if you only bend one leg, you can use the pin twice.

i too confess to re-using them a lot in the old days, also used a bent nail once or twice.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
It could if the axle isn't tightened. Most, if not all nuts anymore lock themselves after tightened. The lead angle and friction are what keep it in place. But if some grease got in there it could loosen up.

So dangerous, but not as dangerous as one would think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts