Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the heating elements on the bars, and grips on over top of them. Now it's time to wire them up.

So, I can wire the resistor in to make them hi/lo or I can wire them so it's on/off with the resistor on the throttle side to "equalize the temperature." Who has put the resistor on the throttle element? If so, are you happy with it that way, or does the other one get too darn hot? I'm not as brave as RandyO and JBS, I put them on for those chilly morning commutes, 30 minutes in upper thirties and lower forties. Anywho, if you've done the different wattage to the elements, let me know if you think it's the best thing since sliced bread, or you hated it and switched back to the hi/lo.

Second, point me to a better (smaller and less fugly) switch. I've seen rowboat oars smaller than the paddle on that thing. Also, the big honking Red, alum and Blue label is a bit distracting. What have you all found as a better, more subtle switch? I'm leaning towards some small handlebar rocker type switch, except it costs as much as the dang kit. Show me what you're using, or where you hid the one Kimpex provided so it doesn't look like a ******* add-on. Mind you, I am a *******, just don't want my bike to look like it belongs to one.

· Registered
5,226 Posts
I used the symtex heaters, but they also came with a nice fugly switch. I went by radio shack and picked up a SPDT Center Off switch for a couple bucks.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062486

This is what I picked up, but radio shack carries a few. Just make sure it has a center off position and you should be good to go.

· Registered
1,740 Posts
I've got the Symtec rocker switch and I think it is nice and subtle.

About the hi/low, I have the choice and have never used low, but on that same note I wrapped some tape around the clutch side and both feel pretty equal in their heat output. I think the Symtec has different wattages for clutch and throttle, though. I would probably forgo the Hi/Lo for a more even heat distribution.

How hard is it to change? I would try it and if I didn't like it I would go the other way.

· Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got the Symtec rocker switch and I think it is nice and subtle.

About the hi/low, I have the choice and have never used low, but on that same note I wrapped some tape around the clutch side and both feel pretty equal in their heat output. I think the Symtec has different wattages for clutch and throttle, though. I would probably forgo the Hi/Lo for a more even heat distribution.

How hard is it to change? I would try it and if I didn't like it I would go the other way.
It's a pretty easy rewire, but if I go with the on/off, many more inexpensive options for a switch right up front. If I don't have to redo, all the better. ;)

So, MagpieTear, you didn't perhaps grow up in the New Orleans area?

Axed instead of asked is a typical N.O. speech artifact (Neville brothers, "They All Axed for You").
No, but I spent the Summer of 1991 there for reserves. Actually, it was a Moke Pidgin saying to me. Spent 4 years in Hawaii and catch myself speaking it sometimes. It's da Kine one, ya? ;D

· Premium Member
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up with a single throw rocker from Radio Shack. It's a bit bigger than I wanted, but it was cheap, it looks better than the gaudy chrome thing Kimpex provided, and it has a red LED to Shaun-proof the accidental turning on or off while in the dark.

Being a single position switch and seeing how much hotter the right got than the left during my pre-solder test, I did use the provided ceramic resistor on the right side feed. The instructions did say to put it somewhere to receive ample airflow. I'm going to guess it gets rather warm itself, and I didn't want it to be laying against anything plastic such as the brakeline sheath, other wires and my mini-fairing. So I zip tied it to the fairing stay lugs to keep it from bouncing around and melting stuff.

Am I the only one who had 70's era MoPar flashbacks when seeing a ceramic resistor? ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.