Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my lunch breaks I ride almost every day now to this little deli/market about 5 minutes away from where I work...

Today I get up there and the lady (They all know me by name now... know what i want to order...) has this awfully miserable look on her face.

She proceeds to tell me that on Friday that the young girl (shes one of those chicks that wears too much makeup and is never without her phone- probably not even 21 yet) that works there - pulled out of the store and was sideswiped by a motorcyclist.

Witnesses say the bike was really loud and was going well over the limit. The lady tells me that they are worried she was on her cell phone... Dueling squids...

She apparently nearly died- was in intensive care for a day- broken ribs, arm... The cyclist however died on impact apparently...

I stared at the skid marks on the ground... there was oil and coolant stains... and this nasty red patch on the road...

I hear about crashes all the time but this really hit home for me... And here a couple days ago I was just saying the penalties for distracted driving should be way more severe... I mean how many times did someone pull out on a motorcycle, kill the dude, then claim that they were ******* speeding it was the cyclists fault. Not that it matters much at that point.

Zzzz sorry for the random post just needed to write/think.

Would she have seen me?
Ride safe guys.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Ugh that is awful. Too close to home. Every time I hear a story like this, it always makes me wish cell phones weren't able to be used while in the car. Like they were deactivated once the car was in gear. Maybe it would have saved him, maybe not. But at least that wouldn't have been everyone's first thought.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Sucks man, ride as defensively as you can and before doing stupid moves....think twice.
+1

Treat everyone else on the road as a complete moron that is going to do the unexpected.

Ride as if you are invisible to everyone.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah this has been my thought pretty much in the 4 years ive been riding.

Its just disturbing though when there are all these kids on cell phones... :/ even the most defensive driver can get run over... :/

Worst thing is that I have friend (go way back, like 4th grade...haha) who is a TOTAL squid.... and we all fear for him.... but he just wont listen...

wont listen... hes suborn as it gets... bought a 636, crashed it a week later and said "god wanted him to be alive so he can keep doing dumb stuff"

... just don't know what to do about it other than expect a funeral and if he survives than I can be happy about it... :/

·
Registered
818 Posts
<snip>

Would she have seen me?
Ride safe guys.
Sorry for the rider. Sorrry for the girl.

The question you ask can't be answered. On the other hand, the real question is "Would you have seen her?" We can't control others, but hopefully we can control ourselves. David L Hough's Proficient Motorcycling (as well as other books, videos and courses) can help you develop the skills and attitudes to avoid this kind of tragedy.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
On my lunch breaks I ride almost every day now to this little deli/market about 5 minutes away from where I work...

Today I get up there and the lady (They all know me by name now... know what i want to order...) has this awfully miserable look on her face.

She proceeds to tell me that on Friday that the young girl (shes one of those chicks that wears too much makeup and is never without her phone- probably not even 21 yet) that works there - pulled out of the store and was sideswiped by a motorcyclist.

Witnesses say the bike was really loud and was going well over the limit.The lady tells me that they are worried she was on her cell phone... Dueling squids...

She apparently nearly died- was in intensive care for a day- broken ribs, arm... The cyclist however died on impact apparently...

I stared at the skid marks on the ground... there was oil and coolant stains... and this nasty red patch on the road...

I hear about crashes all the time but this really hit home for me... And here a couple days ago I was just saying the penalties for distracted driving should be way more severe... I mean how many times did someone pull out on a motorcycle, kill the dude, then claim that they were ******* speeding it was the cyclists fault. Not that it matters much at that point.

Zzzz sorry for the random post just needed to write/think.

Would she have seen me?
Ride safe guys.
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to judge the speed of a vehicle approaching you. She probably looked at how far away he was, judged the time it would take a vehicle traveling the speed limit to reach her and assumed that she had enough room to safely pull out not realizing he was going much faster.

I remember a story of two idiots drag racing down one of the main roads in the town I grew up in. A delivery van pulled out in front of them not realizing they were going well over 100mph in a 45mph zone. Both cars and the van were totaled and the driver of one of the cars was permanently disabled as a result.

If excessive speed was involved I wouldn't blame the girl in the car one bit for this accident. It's all on the motorcyclist.

·
Registered
683 Posts
+1

Treat everyone else on the road as a complete moron that is going to do the unexpected.

^ post of the day!

Much like the OP, in September I'll be visiting my folks, who not only don't want me riding, but are clueless that I'm still riding....they will find out when I arrive. Funny part is, I'm friggin in my 40's!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to judge the speed of a vehicle approaching you. She probably looked at how far away he was, judged the time it would take a vehicle traveling the speed limit to reach her and assumed that she had enough room to safely pull out not realizing he was going much faster.

I remember a story of two idiots drag racing down one of the main roads in the town I grew up in. A delivery van pulled out in front of them not realizing they were going well over 100mph in a 45mph zone. Both cars and the van were totaled and the driver of one of the cars was permanently disabled as a result.

If excessive speed was involved I wouldn't blame the girl in the car one bit for this accident. It's all on the motorcyclist.
Certainly but thats what i meant by "dueling squids"... motorcyclist doing dumb stuff (speeding) - and a car driver doing dumb stuff (cell phones)

It just sounds like a all round awful situation- I kinda wonder how she will handle/ is handling that fact that she (in a way, whether via distraction by a phone or just bad timing) indirectly killed someone.

It's just hard to comprehend, for me at least, being alive, and then not being alive... over a cellphone... or speeding...

Suppose that's how it is though.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes things like this hit close to home.

All to often people are to impatient to look, judge and wait the needed time. They just see that no one is in front of them or that there is a car coming and they have to beat it out. Talking on the phone just makes things worse.

We can only control ourselves and no one else. Ride safe and be alert.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I know how you feel. It's very sobering.

A girl who works across the street was hit by a car on her Vespa right in front of where I work and taken to the hospital. Thankfully she's okay with just a scraped elbow (no gear) and the Vespa just has a small dent and a bent brake lever.

I guarantee she was not speeding.:vroom:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah, seeing a red patch on the road definitely hits you pretty hard. Ride safe, man.

I gotta agree with you on that one. Even if the driver was distracted I still couldn't blame them if the bike was indeed speeding excessively. No one expects people to be going twice the limit.

As a teenager in my Mustang I once hit an S curve near my house at over 90mph late at night. In the middle of the turn an SUV pulled out in front of me. I ended up off the road sliding on the dirt through the rest of the turn. If it wasn't for all the experience I had off-roading in trucks and playing in wet parking lots I would've ended up dead in the ditch (it's a freakin' convertible).

And as soon as that happened I immediately knew it was 100% my fault. A valuable lesson learned indeed. :worship:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't know what kind of car she was driving, but if the bike hit her hard enough to put her in the ICU I'm going to suspect that the bike was going pretty **** fast. Still sucks for everyone though.

I'm always paranoid about left turners in front of me, and people sitting in driveways waiting for me to pass, I can never tell if they've seen me, so far so good though.

·
Registered
618 Posts

Pretty much. But I also wouldnt count out that she just didnt even look. Hell I've had girls pull out in front of my TRUCK because they were too busy on the phone.

Hell some people apparently can "tell" a bikes speed by its sound also.:lmao: Hell been riding for 20 yrs and theres no way anyone can tell a bikes speed by the exaust sound on a bike they cant see. Before the local paper shut off comments to stories involving crashes, if there was a bad sportbike crash, there would be someone who "witnessed it" because they heard the bike "screaming".

·
Registered
60 Posts
^ post of the day!

Much like the OP, in September I'll be visiting my folks, who not only don't want me riding, but are clueless that I'm still riding....they will find out when I arrive. Funny part is, I'm friggin in my 40's!!!!! :lol:
Hope she ends up okay and to sue lol same here with the parents... thought I was the only one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts