Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday I visted a friend. I get a knock at the door and someone else in the building knocked the bike down. I go down and see the damage to the tank. She said to get her an estimate and she'll pay it.

Yesterday got 2 estimates. One was for $2,700 and the other was for $2,400(we all know how bike parts add up + labor). She started disputing what was on the stimate. I told her to go through her insurance. I called mine and gave them all the info and she's insisting to go to "her guy". Nope, I'll only go to authorized Kawi dealers.

My question. My insurance asked if I a polic report was done. They didn't make a big deal about it. I have friends that gone through insurance without a report either.

Should I go to the precint and file a report being it's 2 days later?

This goes out to those that are actual attorneys and PM's are welcome. I do understand any responses will not be considered legal advice and I will not keep anyone to what's said.

Thank you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know here in KY if it was in a private parking lot the police will not come out and do a report on any vehicle accidents.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
What did your insurance co say they will do? Usually they will pursue the other person's insurance as a way to avoid paying themselves. If they said you don't need a report, then you don't need one.

typically, the police won't do police reports for things that happen on private property. (unless you consider it vandalism, that may be different)

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
yeah, same in Ohio, private parking lot=no cops...

·
Registered
123 Posts
As far as I know, if you're below a certain dollar limit in damage(you are) and no one was hurt, you can file it at any time. If you have a witness (can't tell by your post if the person that tipped it was the person who told you about it) bring them as well.
As the person admitted to doing it and there is no doubt that the fault is theirs and not yours, you shouldn't NEED a police report, but I would still recommend filing one.\
I am not a lawyer, but I have dealt with this in the past.

·
Registered
212 Posts
sorry to hear this, i have no experience on insurance/attorneys...but i do have "Motosliders"!!!
Crashed once, & dropped bike twice so far...minimal damage!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
They will not COME to the lot, but most departments will let you file a walk-in report

·
Registered
86 Posts
You could always contact the police department in your area and see if they will do a report on something that happened two days ago and in a private garage. That way even if they don't need it you'll have the report just in case they change their mind.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Definitely file a report, nothing to lose and it may contribute to your chances of getting your bike fixed.
In Maine where I live, you are required to report the accident to the police if the value of damages will exceed $1000, that's basically anything more than a scratch, the way body shop prices are. The wording in the law here is "Reportable accident: accident on a public way or place where public traffic may reasonably be anticipated resulting in bodily injury or "apparent' property damage of $1000 or more..." Even if I had serious doubts that my damages would exceed $1000, I would always immediately report any accident to the police because it documents what happened and the other person involved is right there so no time like the present to get their insurance info, etc. before their memory becomes "fuzzy" or they disappear altogether. Also, if the police do come take a look, they will file a report which includes a diagram and statement about what happened, and even if the police don't come to investigate, your call to them will be documented so you can prove the time the damage occured. The insurance companies will use this. By waiting, there is now nothing for the police to see as far as tire tracks, or scratches on the other vehicle that align with where it contacted yours, etc. so it is your word against hers about what happened. She may have admitted to you that she hit your bike but there's now nothing to prevent her from changing her mind and deciding that your bike just fell over all by itself and she had nothing to do with it so owes you nothing. Unfortunately, lots of people will say they want to do the right thing and accept responsibility when they think it's only a couple of hundred dollars worth of damages, but when they are faced with the actual cost of repairs, they become "pragmatic" and walk away, leaving you to repair your own property. Report any accident to the police immediately.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Walk in to your local precinct and insist on filing a report. They are not supposed to turn you away. It is a report that YOU are making to THEM, nothing more. The police may file it under "G" (for "garbage"), but at least you'll have a copy, the incident will be documented, and you'll have a record of the time, date, location, damage, and names of witnesses.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I don't have any advice, but would like to offer my best wishes that your bike gets taken care of quickly and fully. I am surprised they don't want to total it for that amount. My friend dumped his '05 GSXR 750 two years ago and the estimate was $2500 and they wrote it off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bummer Enrico :(

Is that the SV you rebuilt? If so I can imagine you want to keep it lol!

Like they said above you can't go wrong getting that report filed at the local cop shop. Also I'd recommend getting some pictures of where it happened etc just in case. The more documentation you have the better.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I wouldnt waste my time with the police. Your rendition of the facts doesnt prove anything on any level. Getting the cops to do this type of work usually turns into an exercise in frustration and disappointment

She admits she did the damage, yes?

Make the claim against her insurance carrier. Fax them your written estimates.

They will pay ...

Simple matter.

If she changes her story and her carrier wont pay, make the claim against your own policy, if you have collision. Only downside is that you may eat the deductible.

Alternatively, you could sue her in small claims court for the cost of repairs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
a camera is my best friend in situations like this!!!
:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, but as practical matter,

Get something in writing from her showing that you two have discussed the damage she did to the bike. If she refuses to pay it, file a small claims actions against her. That usually brings people to the table...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts