Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here tried attaching knee pucks to textile pants before? I know that I've seen one or two different styles of non-leather riding pants that had the velcro for pucks on them, and I'm trying to decide if it's feasible to try with mine.

I really want to get leathers (Spartans here I come!) but the money is just not there at the moment, and even if it was, I don't know if I could get them in time for the rally since I'd need them custom fit. (but I'll be checking on that) I figured that this would be a cheaper, temporary alternative.

Thing is, I'm getting rather close to touching a knee down in some of the slower sharper type corners, like you'd find on the Dragon, and I'd like to have pucks for the rally just in case I do get a knee down.

So, anyone have any experience with this? If you do, is there a particular metod you used? Any special materials involved? Or did you just get some patches of velcro that matched the hooks on the pucks and sew them to your pants?

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, thank you kind sir. I must have missed those.

Any reccomendations on how to attach them to the pants? Or do you just sew them on like any regular patch? I'd have thought you'd need some kind of high strength thread or something, but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Ahh, thank you kind sir. I must have missed those.

Any reccomendations on how to attach them to the pants? Or do you just sew them on like any regular patch? I'd have thought you'd need some kind of high strength thread or something, but I could be wrong.
Multiple stitching is the key. I'd do three separate rings from the outside edge towards the center and then do a astrick pattern in the center.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You've never seen Jason have you?? ;D
Haha..... heeeeey. Wait a minute. What's that supposed to mean? :p

Actually, I met Jack at the DC Bike show a couple months back. Super nice guy. :)

I'm assuming your textile pants fit very snugly?

You've probably already seen these:

http://www.newenough.com/protective...ars/a10_leather_textile_motorcycle_pants.html
Those I did see. But I figure if I'm going to spend 300 bucks on just pant's, I might as well save the extra hundred and get the full custom suit. That, and I checked out some similar pants at Cycle World last night while shopping pants for the ladyfriend, and sadly, they are far too short. :(

But yeah, my Textiles do fit pretty snugly. I have these:
http://www.newenough.com/protective...scorpion/deuce_mesh_motorcycle_overpants.html

And on the bike, they snug up pretty well, not a lot of loose material and I can cinch down the ankle cuffs. They fit like a pair of moderately snug jeans.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Haha..... heeeeey. Wait a minute. What's that supposed to mean? :p

Actually, I met Jack at the DC Bike show a couple months back. Super nice guy. :)
You've got to have a +33'-34' inseem right?? I know I do. :'(

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've got to have a +33'-34' inseem right?? I know I do. :'(
Yeah, my jeans are a 34' inseam. Which means most rack sized stuff will never fit in a million years since I have a 38' waist. And sadly, it seems that combination of measurements doesn't exist anywhere else in nature. :(

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Yeah, my jeans are a 34' inseam. Which means most rack sized stuff will never fit in a million years since I have a 38' waist. And sadly, it seems that combination of measurements doesn't exist anywhere else in nature. :(
You have a 34 FOOT inseam? :eek: ;D

I have a 34" inseam. My waist is 28. Now try finding something that has room for hips. Boo hoo.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have a 34 FOOT inseam? :eek: ;D
Yes, I'm quite tall. :lol:

Busted finger missed the shift key on that one. :p

I have a 34" inseam. My waist is 28. Now try finding something that has room for hips. Boo hoo.
But... but.... girls is supposed to have a 'lil curve. :( Stupid twig models. :mad:

·
Registered
856 Posts
how about knee shin pads? Fox maybe, i have them for mtn biking the caps go pretty far around since they snap into the cap flushly, you might be able to put a puck on if you start getting the knee down regularly. I think they'd be under a 100 bucks.

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how about knee shin pads? Fox maybe, i have them for mtn biking the caps go pretty far around since they snap into the cap flushly, you might be able to put a puck on if you start getting the knee down regularly. I think they'd be under a 100 bucks.
That's an idea, but I've priced out what I had in mind, and pucks+velcro is going to run <$40 and I'm currently quite poor. Which I think will be more than enough for what will probably be very occasional use. Plus, my pant's already have rather substansial armor. If I get to the point where I'm putting knees down with regularity, something I would only attempt maybe on the Dragon and a handful of local turns, I'll save up and spring for full leathers.

I don't plan on really trying hard to get a knee down, but I've gotten quick enough that it's a definite possibility. And I'd like to be prepared in the event that I do. (Ok, so maybe I'll be trying a little :))

Case in point, this past weekend I took the ladyfriend for a ride on the Viffer with some local SV'ers. The end result is that I have less than 1/4 inch chicken strips left, and from what the guys following tell me, she was about 2 inches from touching the ground with her hand. (She's a very experienced passenger.) And I didn't feel like I was really pushing it that hard, but apparently, I was using a pretty massive amount of lean. More than enough to touch a knee if I'd been hanging off the bike I reckon.

·
Iron Butt Moderator
9,271 Posts
J, get the velcro and find a shop that does leather repair, or someone who works on suits. I'm fortunate to have Spider Leatherworks here in Milwaukee, Alexa knows her stuff. Having velcro sewn on should be easy, I've considered it on my Olympia suit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
if you are leaning that far without hanging off,you might find your chicken strips coming back after assuming the position. It will give you a suprising amount of "xtra" room for error.
That being said,have fun on the dragon!

·
45% Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if you are leaning that far without hanging off,you might find your chicken strips coming back after assuming the position. It will give you a suprising amount of "xtra" room for error.
That being said,have fun on the dragon!
Oh absolutely. I agree. I'm still not as quick on the VFR as I am on the SV, and I do hang off a lot on the SV now, with minimal chicken strips. I know that I'm pretty close to touching down on the SV, maybe not so much on the VFR, but the SV, a definite possibility.

I was thinking of it more along the lines of, "wow, I'm carrying quite a bit of corner speed... and I'm comfortable at this lean angle... If I hang off, and keep this same cornerspeed or maybe a little more to get back close to this lean angle... my knee will be really close..."

I'm kinda surprised at myself, a year ago, I would have never imagined that I'd be thinking about pucks. Heck, I rode Jbswears SV after his GSX-R fork swap and was nearly draggin my toes. I'm just much more comfortable with higher lean angles than I was when I first started. Not overconfident mind you, just more comfortable. I don't like to push my comfort limits too far at once. Just slowly working my way to higher cornerspeeds and more lean/hangin' off. :)

Thanks, I did the Dragon last year at the rally with only 3000 miles of riding under my belt. I'm eager to hit it again and see if I've improved. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts