Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
7F this morning in VA. Never owned a pair of heated gloves. I just wore layers and it was fine but good job though, 12F is cold.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wow. I've been to 15, though not particularly well-prepared. It will be 40 and sunny here today so I'll be riding to work, though when it drops again you've given me reason to keep going out :thumbsup:

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
I must admit that I never got over 30mph except for a 2 mile stretch, which then jumps to 40mph.

I wish I had put on my balaclava. My neck was burning.
Well, it was 19F this morning and I didn't ride in today. Although, that has more to do with the hole in my hand and not being able to wear gloves than the ambient temperature.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
It was 10 degrees when I left home according to the online weather. My heated grips just came in yesterday and I won't get to install them until Saturday, but thankfully I have hand guards on the F650 so that helped a little. It's supposed to go to 37 or so today so the ride home will be better :).

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yeah, the bike stayed in the garage yesterday and today. Even with heated grips, a balaclava, and a home-made heated vest.

The road surface was pretty nasty, still a lot of snow/ice covered parts, and lots of gravel.

My ride is 45 minutes long. I'll do mid 20s, but that's about it. I'm man enough to admit that sometimes it's just too cold.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I put up with below freezing ride to work so I can have a cozy mid 40-50 ride home.

Warmth is just around the corner I hope.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
Dude, there is too much ice out. I'm not sure about your commute but mine is definitely 70mph average and 18* almost killed me (no heated vest).

You've lost your marbles.

(and your bike isn't buried under the snow that the parking cleanup crew moved in front of it. :-/)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I understand why you did it.....ya know, just to say you did...............but Fawk Brad, its just too **** cold for this stuff!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
my coldest ride ( I don't consider it a ride unless your out for 100 miles or more) is -15°F, with proper gear & equipment, now problems

tried going out at -25 once, but couldn't get the bike started till it warmed up to -10

gear

thin silk longjohns & longsleeve T
military surplus thermal longjohns
gerbings jacket liner
firstgear HT pants & jacket w liner
windstopper balaclava
Sorel 1964 boots w -100 white felts instead of blue -40 normal felts
Snowmobile helmet w double pane visor
Gerbings gloves
HotGrips
Duct Tape around waist to seal jacket to pants

Pirelli MTR60-Corsa tires (knobs actually allow tires to get warm, you see steam rolling off them when you pull over to a snow covered shoulder)

yup, got a lot of strange looks

2½ hours later when I got back home from my approx 100 mile ride, I was sweating my butt off

Cold Air = Free Horsepower, so much so that a quick roll on even in 3rd gear might loft the front wheel a bit, throttle response is unbeleivable at that temp;D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts