Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Ladies and Gents,

I've just joined the site, having only discovered it recently.

I have a 2000 SV650S with some minor mods.

I have a Remus High Level Can and am looking to mate this with a Micron Race System and wonder if any one has used this system before. I will be having it Dyno'd once the K&N is fitted too.

I've also purchased a GSXR600 Rear shock and wonder if the standard spring fitted to this item is OK, or if the spring rate is too much or too little.

I'm also looking at upgrading the front springs and wonder if any one has used ohlins, with any good or bad results.

With regards to Oil, I was thinking of a 15W type.

Has anyone tried to fit the preload adjusters from the front shocks of the newer 2003+ model, or which other type may work.

Sorry for all the questions on my first Subject, however, it's winter and the bike is getting some changes while I have the time before SUMMER, Roll on.

Take Care

Chris

·
Registered
571 Posts
look in the GSXR shock swap sticky at the top of this section. on the bottom of page 7 is a huge breakdown of many years of GSXR shocks. you'll be able to tell if the one you have is enough for you.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I used Ohlins springs with very good results, but they're a little harder to get various weights than most companies- they usually supply only one weight, which is I think .8 (could be wrong).

Are you looking at that set of Micron headers on Ebay UK? They're being sold by an SV650.org member. Most definately not titanium, in case you missed that amendment in the auction, just discoloured stainless.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hi Chris - Which year GSX-R600 shock is it? I think the spring on the '01-'03 shocks were only like 325# or something, which is definitely way too light to work on a 2000 SV. For the forks, springs are springs really, any straight-rate spring will be fine. We use Sonic Springs in our kits, and you can't go wrong there, but being that you're in the UK any brand you can get easily really will work the same (just don't get progressive-rate springs, only straight-rate springs). Depending upon your weight 15w oil will probably be an improvement. You'll need preload adjuster caps from an '02 model, the later model ones will not work in your forks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
505 Posts
SVUKChris said:
The Shock I got is a 1997 rear shock, Model 33e, if this is any us.

With regards to Fork Springs, whats the difference with Progressive and Straight, I was looking at these ones...

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MCYCLE&pcode=HPP8657-80&app=Y

I weight about 15stone 10lbs, Not a small lad, but will the forks take a heavier oil than 15w without clogging?
That shock won't work at all, it's way too long and the spring is too soft. I would just sell it and get one that's better suited to your bike. Progressive springs have a split rate to them where one section is softer than another, like this:

That's how the stock spring are and they're meant to make the bike feel "softer" on initial loading of the suspension. The springs you listed are straight-rate Ohlins springs and should work fine. You can use 20w oil or even up to 30w oil if you want, doesn't hurt to try different weights and see what you like, it's just the cost of the oil. Emulators will help even more to control the damping with the stiffer springs that you'll need for your weight.

G

·
SVUKChris said:
The Shock I got is a 1997 rear shock, Model 33e, if this is any us.

With regards to Fork Springs, whats the difference with Progressive and Straight, I was looking at these ones...

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MCYCLE&pcode=HPP8657-80&app=Y

I weight about 15stone 10lbs, Not a small lad, but will the forks take a heavier oil than 15w without clogging?
shock lenght is good,your bike likes more ride hight,it is spring rate and valving that will be way off.
newer gsxr shocks will be short.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the bike jacked up on dog bones, but I knew this shock was longer, so will be putting the old ones back.

RE: the shock spring rate and valving? whats wrong with it and what can be done to sort it, what sort of probles will it give me.

Thanks for thr guidance todate

G

·
SVUKChris said:
I had the bike jacked up on dog bones, but I knew this shock was longer, so will be putting the old ones back.

RE: the shock spring rate and valving? whats wrong with it and what can be done to sort it, what sort of probles will it give me.

Thanks for thr guidance todate
you dont need dog bones with that shock.it is about right lenght.use stock ones.
spring on that shock is about 375#,that is to soft for your bike,you need around 600# spring,depending on your weight.if you put 600# spring on that shock damping will be way off.damping and spring work together.so you need to revalve shock to get damping matched to spring.by the time you done you will spend enough to buy good used aftermarket shock which will work beter than gsxr one that you have.
since you are in UK I believe you guys have wide choice of shocks available,from low priced to high priced.before you start putting money in to gsxr shock research your options.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I had quite exactly this shock on my SV (afterwards a brand new 750 shock I got for cheap and now a wilbers unit, the respective gixxers readily went into the machine of my gf who is quite a bit lighter than me) and while the wilbers clearly *is* better I could do quite well with the gixxer shocks (damping was set to only 1/8 turn open, though), especially compared to the stock unit.
So, getting a correct wilbers (or something like that) makes for a better suspension hands down, but (especially since you have it already) the gixxer shock gives quite some bang for the buck - you can sell the dogbones to lessen the financial impact.

Ciao
Jan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts